Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carport Counter Top.. Materials?

I have installed several cabinets in my carport and want to place a countertop of some kind across the top of them. Although the inside of the carport is not exposed to rain, it is open in spots thus the moisture in the air is a factor. I have considered (1) a premade laminate counter top or (2) make one myself of high density particle board or 3/4" plywood covered with a laminate. The size will be 2 ft x 8 ft. I am looking for opinions (potential problems) on what I am trying to do, or solicate the "better idea" if possible.

As ong as it's not indirect contact with water I'd feel comfy doing that. Humidity wouldn't be that musch more than around a bathroom or kitchen sink...

Comment

I think that I will go with a pre-made laminate countertop IF... all of the countertops that I have seen are 24 plus inches deep with a backsplash.... I only need a 20 inch deep top without backsplash.. Can a pre-made laminate countertop be cut on a table saw without severly chipping the laminate? If so, what kind of blade should I use. All ideas appreciated...

Comment

The laminate countertops can be cut on a table saw but you should use a very fine tooth blade, slow feed rate and it would be best to run a strip of masking tape along the cut line to minimize chipping.

Comment

I am planning on cutting the new counter down to size using a Skill Saw... I will cut from the back side using a guide bar clamped on to make sure the cut is straight.. Question... my saw is a 7 1/4 inch saw, and the blades that came with it are far to course to do a good cut. What kind of blade should I buy and how many teeth? I want to know what I am looking for before I go shopping at the local building mart.

Comment

counter top

Use a metal blade tape it and go slow as other poster said. 24 teeth per in. should be good.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =