Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire-nut color?

Are certain color wire-nuts reserved for capping certain gauge wires? If so, is there a list somewhere? Is this code or common usage?

Thanks

Dan
    Dan

It all depends on which brand of wirenut you are using, each manufacturer has their own stipulations for how many of what gauge wire is allowed under one of their particular wirenuts. You need to look on the packaging for the wirenut that you buy to know for sure what's allowed.

Generally, the yellow wirenuts are good for up to 2-3 12 gauge wires, more than that you would go to a red one. Here's a few links that'll show you the differences.

Comment

Dan, look on the back of the box or package your wire nuts came in, most of them will have a chart like you are looking for.

Comment

Different manufactures have wirenuts made from different plastics. Some are hard plastic like IDEAL, some are pliable - Scotchlok and Marlette.
        IDEAL wirenuts start from the smallest 72B grey to 78B large also gray. Like Lazypup says there is a chart on the box with which wires and combination of wires will fit. They also state that the wires don't have to be twisted when using wirenuts, but from experience, twist them before applying the wirenut. A good mechanical connection is paramount.

Comment

Thanks, Guys.
          Dan

Comment

HayZee:
            I am going to have to send you a container of "CanTwists" They are made by Ideal and will accept anything from 3 #10 all the way down to 3# 22!!
            perfect all-around connector for around the house for doing almost any job, ESPECIALLY Fluorescent ballast change-outs!

A.D

Comment

Can-twists? never heard of 'em. be willing to give them a shot tho'

Comment

HayZee:
                I think you would like them.. you do not have to pre-twist your conductors (I pre-twist if I use any other type of connector) but these ones will latch onto your conductors and bite hard, giving a good twist to everything you are trying to join!
                The only catch is they are a "Canadian" thing and have a C.S.A stamp in the jar but I can't find anything that says " U.L approved"..
                ASIDE from that I think U would like em!

Comment

Working...
                X
                =