Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c coils freezing

my coils keep freezing and I don't know what else to do. I let them thaw, started it again and they froze. I turned the air off for 3 days while I was out of town... got home and they froze again within a day. I had changed the filter the first time, cleaned the pipes that connect to the outside with a shop vac and turned the temp up an extra 5 degrees.... frozen again! any ideas what to try?

ty_moore

Welcome to the Home Repair Forums

I do this every day as a job! Forgive me if I take a day or two to let my mind rest!

Ty, You have a problem! You need to make sure your coil is clean on the inside unit. Look up past the filter to the underside of the coil!

You have possibly two problems!
    1) you have bad air flow due to a dirty filter (which you changed) or a clogged coil (inside) Remember I said (bad air flow)

2) You are low on refrigerant! This means you have a leak! You need a service man at this point!

This is a sealed system it's not supposed to run low on refrigerant!

Hope this helps

16x80

P.S. If you let it go to long you will wind up running up your electric bill and causing damage to your unit over a long period of time!

Comment

On Sunday we noticed that our AC unit was not cooling our home. I cleaned the filter and flushed the drain line but our home still did not get cool. I then checked the air handler and found that the coils were frozen. I defrosted the coils and the house is still not getting cool. I notice your reply to Ty Moore above. I tried to looked up under the coil to see if there is a filter and can not find one. In my Air handler, my coils are in the shape of an "A". There is baffle on the front side that fill the space between each side of the A. On the outside of this area, are copper tubing that will not allow me to take the baffle off. Is it possible my filter is behind this baffle? Any suggestion on removing this baffle.

Our house is 85 degrees today, we had to turn the A/C on. In doing so, I check the Air handler to make sure the coils were not freezing. I noticed the coils and cooper tubing at the bottom portion of the A legs (each side) are cooling and the top portion are not. Also where the orifice connects to the cooper tubing, cooper tubing freezes or is very cool at this level. This part of the cooper tubing goes into the lower side of the "A" legs. My drip pan is directly below this. According to the manual, I have a horizontal unit. The fan motor to the "A". Hopefully this information helps.

Thanks for any information.

Comment

calvinld

Welcome to the Home Repair Forum

No sir, You filter is not behind the baffle supporting the A coil!
        If you have a central return (one large one) in the center of your home it would (should) be there! If not then you have multiple returns and the filter would be located at the bottom of the air handler. I would have to assume your coil is clogged with dirt and such. You need to examine the coil at this point! Air flow is crucial to the operation of the AC unit!

16x80

Comment

16x8,

Thanks for you reply.

I have a central return in the middle of home. I have clean the filter. I have noticed that the air suction from the main return is not as strong as before.

I have open the airhandler panel. I do not see any dirt or debris on the coils. I am guessing that my coils are clogg underneathe the "A" of coils in the airhandler. I will call an A/C technician for inspection.

Thanks for all your help.

Calvin,

Comment

I have that icing problem , have changed filter ,etc. How do you clean the fins on the condenser ?

How do you know if it is dirty or clogged fins or low on freon ?

Comment

Working...
            X
            =