Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defrag issue...

Can't defrag the C drive on the '98 running on HP Pavilion. Get a message about something running in the backround. Have turned off screen saver and shut off monitor. Continue getting message. How do I find what's running in the backround so as to shut it off?

you probably have some spyware running...run a spyware remover to see if that catches it.

Comment

LazyPup, I'm using the AV Personal service recommended on this site. I've run that and still can't defrag..

Comment

I am currently struggling with a very stubborn virus that seems to evade all attempts to remove it. To date i have run 8 different virus removal tools, 5 of which have identified it, but none seem to be able to remove it. I ran a search of the virus name and got a set of instructions direct from microsoft, as well as a patch that microsoft downloaded to deal with it, but it is still here.

Comment

What a shame, LazyPup. I just read about some wireless router or something like that that the fellow claimed almost completely eliminated virus problems. Can't see how, since it would still come in on some innocent e-mail or such....

Comment

A wireless router that is immune to passing a virus...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I think i will bookmark that site right along side the official looking site that claims the Air Force is keeping a live alien at area 51.

Comment

Howdy people....let me shed some light on the subject here:

Mrcaptainbob....about your defrag issue with 98. This is a big problem with 98 and have dealt with this issue several times. The scanner starts over b/c something it running in the background. Hit ctrl-alt-delete and close down any apps running in the background except for EXPLORER and SYSTRAY.....here read this:

Lazypup....what is the virus name? Some are very difficult to remove and despite programs best intentions there are mutant forms of the virus that will not allow a program to remove it. Your best bet is do backup up your data and do a wipe and reload of your OS....then you will be assured that the virus is removed.

Wireless router.....yes when you are behind a router it makes all 1025 ports on your system invisible on the internet. This is waht is called a "hardware firewall". You are much better protected behind a hardware firewall than any personal firewall. You should not connect to the internet if you are using a cable/dsl/sat connection without being behind a router or a straight hardware firewall. Other wise you are a sitting duck.

Comment

Thanks, Montecore. Will look into that.

Comment

Ok,,here is my setup:

Windows XP Home Edition

Cable Modem
                  Lynksys 4 port hardwire router (3 computers on network)
                  Netscape or foxfire

Presently running Zone "Alarm Pro" as firewall but this is new addition.

I have the Anti-Vir but when i run the scan it will run through about 90% of the scan then switch off.

Ran "Avast" antivirus and it located "Exploit,HTML.MHTRedir

Microsoft has a patch for it,but it only works through outlook express and i dont run outlook.

I also have AD-aware spyware remover,,it will run in the smartscan mode, but when i run full system scan it switches off tooo.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by LazyPup

Ok,,here is my setup:

Windows XP Home Edition

Cable Modem
                    Lynksys 4 port hardwire router (3 computers on network)
                    Netscape or foxfire

Presently running Zone "Alarm Pro" as firewall but this is new addition.

I have the Anti-Vir but when i run the scan it will run through about 90% of the scan then switch off.

Ran "Avast" antivirus and it located "Exploit,HTML.MHTRedir

Microsoft has a patch for it,but it only works through outlook express and i dont run outlook.

I also have AD-aware spyware remover,,it will run in the smartscan mode, but when i run full system scan it switches off tooo.
                    What is the location on your hard-drive where you are seeing these viri? Are these in your temporary files? It is important to know where these are located.

Try this as well this will help you cleanup your system:

Download CCleaner
                    CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your PC. It protects your privacy and makes your computer faster and more secure! Download it FREE today.

GO OFFLINE (turn off your internet connection)

close all browsers (etc.IE,Mozilla..)

1.Install CC
                    2.run CC
                    3.press Analyze
                    4.press Run Cleaner
                    5.Exit

Let me know what happens....most of the time these exploits will hang out in the temporary internet files. I would not use zone-alarm and this will interfere with other programs and affects your system overall. Also don't use Anti-vir....there are better options out there....both AVG and AVAST have free editions you can use.

You have to be careful and check all your computers on your network since many things will infect one system and rapidly spread across a network.

Keep me posted.

Comment

Prevously i noticed the light flashing on the hard drive even when i was off line and all applications closed, so while running the virus scans i have been disconnecting the LAN cable to insure no spyware could be running that would interfere with the scan. This seemed to help tremendiously when running the spyware scans.

I am now going to try the scan you suggest and will let you know how it works out.

Comment

Also download the Microsoft Antispyware Beta and see what that finds...list out the objects found.

Your HD light can still run while offline...that is normal periodically.

Comment

Thanks, Test123, I'll do that, too.

Comment

I downloaded the ccleaner from an overseas site. It seemed to install correctly - Today my mcafee virus scanner picked up on it. Along with the download the virus trojan Prockill-DF came along for the ride. Mcafee states it's a low risk virus. The running program file is ccsetup125.exe. Remove it from your system. We don't need virii. When you've uninstalled or otherwise deleted the file go into your registry and do a file search and delete all references to it. Go to START, then RUN. In the window type REGEDIT and press enter or OK. In the search window that pops up type ccleaner then SEARCH. Any entry that comes up with ccleaner in it DELETE the file then press F3 to search again. Do this as many times as needed. This will flush out your system registry.

Comment

Defrag was successful last night! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =