Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire size calculator

Hi,

I'm constructing a 40'x26' work shop (steel construction) and need to wire it for 110 volt and 220 volt single phase power.
    The distance from my Power Company 200 amp. meter/service panel to the shop sub panel is 150'. Once inside the shop the 220v line needs to be 20' down the wall from the sub panel to the welder and compressor.
    My only 220 volt equipment is the air compressor 220v single phase 15 amp. and an Arc welder 220v single phase 65 amp.
    The 110 volt equipment includes a refrigerator, pressure washer, 110v wire feed welder, 10 separate 8' double fluorescent light fixtures, Small evaporative cooler, TV and Radio, Bead blaster cabinet, Drill Press, Portable 20 gallon air compressor, Radial arm saw, table saws, band saws, drills, sanders, grinders ect.
    The 110v circuit inside the shop will power the 8 overhead fluorescent lights and 3 separate 4 gang "J" boxes on each 40' wall for a total of 6 outlets with 24 available plug-ins.
    How deep doe's the trench need to be?
    I need to know what size wire(s) and then what size underground conduit to put it in.
    I really need the welder now to continue with the building process and I'm wondering is there a wire/cable that can be wired from the incoming 200 amp service panel to the shop sub panel and run along the ground as a temporary extension cord that will power both the 220v and 110v until the trench is dug? Then I could put it in the conduit and bury it later.
    My input voltage at the service panel is 125v and 257volts.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.
    Ace

Start your search here for the voltage drop calculator - www.ifigure.com/engineer/electric/electric.htm
    Add all your loads in amps or convert from watts to amps. Formula for this is P (power) divided by E (voltage) Add an extra 50 amps for incidental loads. Minimal burial for conduit is 24 inches in a sand lined trench and sand above the conduit. Earth loam can finish off the trench.

Comment

HayZee, Thanks for the link and your reply. I did the right thing and brought in a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
      -Ace

Comment

Working...
      X
      =