Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow thrower?

I'm in the market for a snowblower/thrower (is there a difference?). My local shop carries Husqvarna and Snapper, the next town over sells Simplicity's, which I've heard are very good. I'd like to stay close for servicing reasons but will go with Simplicity if there's that much of a difference.
    I'm thinking an intermediate two-stage, 8-10 HP with electric start and power steering.

I'm in Orange Co.,NY and have about a 50',paved,one-car driveway and also would need to clear a path to the woodpile out back.

Any recommendations? [?]

Thanks,

Dan
    Dan

Not sure brand wise, but I would suggest a two stage. And if there's any kind of incline on that drive or on the path to the wood pile, I'd sure consider a self-powered machine as well.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

While the property is flat and we often get 4-6 inches at a time, sometimes we get buried. The other day, we got almost a foot.
      That, in itself, isn't too bad but as my driveway ends on a semi-busy road that is often plowed, there is usually a large pile put there by passing county snow trucks.

Dan
      Dan

Comment

the snow thrower is merely of choice. two stage is a definite. track type or wheel doesn't matter as long as you're satisfied. wheel type you may need chains on it. sears had a track type with an adjustable fulcrum where you can transfer weight to the front by stepping on a lever. aubuchon hardware has an mtd machine that rocks! I live way upstate from you, in franklin county in the adirondack park and mtd machines are just as good as husquavarna or ariens

Comment

For reliability I would have to say Simplicity, I have had many snowthrowers and tractors made by Simplicity (maybe because I'm a Simplicity garden tractor collector/restorer). And I have had GREAT service at any Simplicity dealership I have gone to.

You might want to check out this other Simplicity Garden Tractor Club on the web. I've been a member for about 5 years, been a past Treasurer and now just enjoy being one of the 3900 members. Oh well too much of the my opinion can go a long way on these yard machines.

Comment

I used to sell lawn mowers and snow blowers - go with the Simplicity it is much higher quality than the others. It will be easier to use, more reliable and last longer. As far as power products go, the Husqvarna makes very nice chainsaws and string trimmers (straight shaft) - that is about it, the blower is ok, but shaped funny. The rest is made much cheaper...

Comment

If you want the cadilac of snow blowers check out TroyBuilt from Troy, NY

I had a Troybuilt 44" cut two stage, 18HP electic start with built in trickle charge for the battery while sitting stationary, electric engine block preheater, lights, 6 ground speeds forward and to top it off, you could disconnect the snowblower head and attach a roto-tiller head on the rear for year round use.

That machine could cut 36" deep heavy snow, 44" wide as fast as i cared to walk behind it and it could blow it upwards of 30. It would completely open the sidewalk in one pass and could clear a driveway in two rounds.'

Initially it seemed a bit pricy but when compared to Husqvarna it was competitive, not to mention that when you added the roto-tiller attachment it worked out much less than having two separate machines.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =