Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing metal posts sticking up on front lawn

hope someone can offer a suggestion.

i had a white PVC picket fence lining the side of my front yard. i live in a corner house. the fence came with the house when i bought it. it discouraged people from crossing across my front lawn when walking and turning the corner (and saving themselves may 5, 10 seconds off their walking trip). after 1 week in the house, some kids came along in the middle of the night on a weekend and kicked in the fence. the pickets were spread out all over my lawn. welcome to the neighborhood, rich. i started to repair the fence and on the next weekend, guess who came along in the middle of the night and kicked it in again.

ok, the kids win. obviously, that fence must have really bothered them (yeah right). i removed the fence...the white PVC parts. but now i have 2 metal posts sticking up from my lawn. i assume the posts are held in place with concrete.

any suggestions on how to remove the posts? do i just dig down to the concrete and try to wiggle the post till it comes out? do i cut the post? if so, where do i make the cut? what could i use to cut it with?

any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

rich

if there is enough of a stub sticking out of the lawn dig around it and try to wiggle it then take a long 2X4 and some rope. "backwrap the rope" around the stub. What I mean here is wind it tightly from the bottom up and finish with a clove hitch, then take the rope and go around the 2X4 about 3 feet from the short end. place a board on the ground and use this as a lever - a fulcrum, pull up on the longer end and you may be able to pull up the stub out of the ground. If all else fails and this is too much, cut the pipe at ground level with a nylon string in a backward forward motion around the pipe. The nylon will heat up cutting the pipe.

Comment

You could dig around the post, enough to get a sawzall and cut the pole as low as you can.

Jtfoxman
      Jtfoxman

Comment

Then I'd put in a chain link fence. Damned delinquents.

Comment

If you have access to a cutting torch or someone who you know has one and will operate it for you, you could dig down to the level of which you'd be comfortable with and cut it off. Making sure you have a water hose, fire extinguisher, and shovel handy incase of an emergency. Then backfill the holes and plant some grass seed. That's too bad people can't respect other peoples property.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =