Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get it up!

Having an issue with wife's Dell Dimension 4600. It's running XP Home edition. Last Wednesday there was a power failure late at night. System was plugged into it's power strip, but was not up and running. She used it the following Thursday and used it extensively and successfuly on Sunday. Today it won't get past the black screen with the options and a countdown of 25 seconds to make a selection. I went first for the start up in 'normal' mode. All it does is black out for about 5 minutes, then show the same screen again. Tried the 'last known' mode and the same thing happens. If left alone for awhile, it of coarse selects the normal start up. then it blacks out for a bit, then it shows the windows logo with the scanning bar just beneath it. Then it goes all black again and will repeat this. WHat the heck's going on? It wsa shut down normally and all was well. What must I do to get it back up and running? It's a 2.5 year old system.

Also, after a few hours now, and it being very quiet, I can hear the disk wind down, then wind back up again.

I have a Dell dimension 4600. About the same thing happened to me BUT nothing worked! I tracked it down to the power supply. The one Dell supplies is too small for the load of the system. I purchased a replacement from absolutesurplus dot com for $31. Had it shipped overnight. Took care of the problem. If you go this route make sure of the number of plugs that plug into the motherboard as there is two different types.

Comment

Thanks for that info, HayZee. Will open it up, count the number of plugs and go from there.

Comment

Unbelievable! Got that power supply installed just a few minutes ago! WOWSERS! The screen lit up so fast and it's all functioning like one would expect it to! Thanks so much HayZee518 for your help. My wife is now a happy camper, therefore ... me, too!
        THanks again.

Comment

oops wrong thread, right topic though

Comment

Working...
          X
          =