Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryer vent suggestions

I've read through the archives on this, and have a bit more of a mixed feeling on this. I'm purchasing a middle unit townhome the end of this month. The washer and dryer are located in the front of the finished basement. Currently the dryer vent comes out of the dryer goes up, makes a 90º bend and runs the length of the basement to the exhaust vent, about 22' away. It is hidden by a drop ceiling. The existing line is the cheap ribbed wire vent, so regardless that must go!

Should I keep the rear exit exhaust, and just replace the cheap piping with 4" smooth piping? If I kept the rear exit, would a booster fan be necessary?

Or should I go ahead and drill out a new exhaust vent in the front of the house, making the run only about 6'? Of course the downside to this is that it is the front of the house. It will be somewhat hidden by the landscaping. If I take this route, it may end up exiting under a window, is that something that you want to try to avoid for summertime so that you aren't blowing warmed air into your house?

shaggymatt

Welcome to the Home Repair Forums

The shorter run in a dryer vent is always ideal. The issue is weather or not you want the vent coming out the front of your home!

The 22 ft run would not require a booster fan and removing the flex pipe with a rigid is always your best bet! Dryer manufactures say you can run up to 45 ft and still work properly!

Comment

I had read somewhere (online), that the max run you want for a dryer line is 25'. For every 90º bend you make, reduce that number by 5'. That would make my max 15'.

I like the idea of the elevated exit on the rear of the house, as it will never be affected by snow piling up. I can't say that for the front exit.

Honestly, I think that I was just looking for a reason to buy the 18 volt Dewalt drill. []

Comment

Well I went to the Bosch website, and who would've ever though to look in the owner's manual? Duh! Their guidelines, assuming solid rigid ducting: 0 elblows = 30', 1 elbow = 22', 2 elbows = 14'. Flexible ducting 0 elbows = 20', 1 elbow = 15', and 2 elbows = 9'.

I guess that means I'm drilling through the front of the house then.

Comment

shaggymatt
          You should buy the 18 volt Dewalt drill anyway. You deserve it.

It's a great life.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =