Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sagging Floors - 2nd story

I have to level some sagging floors in my two-story home on the 2nd floor which is one year old. The largest area is appoximately 5' x 6' - the sagging is from 1/2" to 1 1/2". Can I use a leveling compound in these areas? Two of the areas are carpeted and one is vinyl. What kind of complications may occur since we would be using this on the 2nd floor of our home? Any help would be greatly appreciated..THANK YOU...

Donald,

Your house is one year old?!? Did you have a professional builder build it? Is there any new home warranty? If you have that much sag in one year I would be more concerned about fixing the joists or support walls as opposed to masking the problem with floor leveling compound.

Is the sag in the center of the room? Or is it a slope towards a wall? Do you see a corresponding sag in the ceiling of the first floor? I would recommend having a building inspector come on site and verify what is failing and why.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Jimmer

Donald,

It was built by a builder in Texas when we moved there.The builder's engineer wants to use a leveling compound but my concern is the weight it would put on the floor if something is wrong with the joists. It slopes towards the wall. All there areas are adjoining. I guess I should get my own inspector out there or hire a contractor for their opinion...Thank you...

Your house is one year old?!? Did you have a professional builder build it? Is there any new home warranty? If you have that much sag in one year I would be more concerned about fixing the joists or support walls as opposed to masking the problem with floor leveling compound.

Is the sag in the center of the room? Or is it a slope towards a wall? Do you see a corresponding sag in the ceiling of the first floor? I would recommend having a building inspector come on site and verify what is failing and why.

Good luck, Jim

Comment

Donald,

I would recommend getting a qualified inspector to look at it first, they have no interest in making $ over and above the inspection fee. Then with that information talk to contractors and get quotes on fixing the problem. I think that the $ you spend for an unbiased opion would be well worth it. Also it is critical that you find the failure point and start the repair there... for example if you find that the footing has failed in one area you want to replace/repair it, not just put a longer support on top of it.

It sounds like there has been a mistake made in either the design or build, I hope you can get this fixed right.

Good luck, Jim

Comment

You should have an independent inspector and an attorney look at the house. Jimmer is right. Is the builder offering to pay for the repairs?

Comment

I want to thank everyone that has given me their ideas or suggestions on this subject. I contacted the Builder for the manufacturer of the leveling compound & per their recommendations we need to find out why the floors are sagging before any leveling compound can be used. The builder is still persistant on using the leveling compound. We also have contacted our attorney. Our inspector & contractor also strongly suggest not to use a leveling compound. Our inspector & contractor will remove the subfloors & ceilings to see why the floors are sagging. We have not given the builder permission to use the compound....Thanks again to everyone that has responded.....

Comment

Working...
            X
            =