Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinets: Reface or Refinish?

I have stained wood cabinetry in my kitchen that is quite outdated (60's) and would like to have a more updated look without the expense of new cabinets. Since the boxes are structurally sound, I'm not too keen on the idea of "refacing" where thin veneers are glued on top of the front and sides. Is it possible to judt strip the cabinets and refinish with stain or paint? I would really like to have new doors and drawer fronts and refinish the cabinet "boxes" to match the new fronts. Thanks!

Since most stains are penetrating, and if your existing finish is darker than the finish you are contemplating, you'll find that a lighter finish is quite difficult to acheive. So be prepared to broaden your range of potential finishes.
    If, having embarked upon the stripping and refinish process, you find it overwhelming, there are stainable phenolic products in many wood species and 1/32" thich.
    Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Refinish

I am currently in the process of the same undertaking. I have dark stained capinets which are structrually sound. I have wiped down the old capinets with some regular lysol kitchen cleaner. Then I primed the doors (so far) with Sherwin Williams PrepRite® ProBlock® Odorless Alkyd Primer Bond Rite.
      Shop interior and exterior paint and stains, painting supplies, browse paint colors, find DIY project inspiration and more with Sherwin-Williams.

I have applied two coats.

They have recommended ProClassic® Alkyd as the top coat: http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i...int/paints.jsp
      The superior flow and leveling characteristics result in a smooth and durable finish - no brush or roller marks
      Stands up to high-traffic areas
      Ideal for high-touch trim and molding, such as cabinets, doors and windows
      Satin and Semi-Gloss finishes for versatility.
      So Far I have applied one coat to the back of the doors and it covered pretty well. However, I will probably do at least 1 probably 2 coats on the front sides..... Ill repost after my final product.... Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X
      =