Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlet for washer in Bsmt.

I am planning on adding an extra washer/dryer in my basment. I plan on tieing into an existing 20 amp circuit I put in a few years ago for some extra outlets. I will use GFCI of course. Is this acceptable for a 120v washer and gas dryer? How many watts can the circuit safely provide?
    Thanks!

Code does not care about how many watts. At least where I come from, code says motorized appliances are to be on their own circuit.

Comment

follow-up

So does that mean that the washer (10A) and the gas dryer (6A) each have to have their own circuit? I don't have any spaces left for breakers. As for the wattage issue - I originally installed the circuit for grow lights - I may have anywhere from 480W to 1280W worth of lights on at any given time. On a 20A circuit.

Comment

A 20 amp circuit is rated for 2400 watts maximum. That said, per NEC code, a laundry area must be supplied with a dedicated 20 amp circuit that does not feed any receptacles outside of that laudry area. So, to tap into your existing 20 amp circuit to supply power to your washer and dryer would not be allowed. Read the link below for the details.

http://www.ecmag.com/editorial_detail.aspx?id=1451

What is the model number of your panel and the make, it's possible you could add a tandem breaker to your panel to provide additional circuits.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =