Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cracked ABS Pipe Repair

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Cracked ABS Pipe Repair

    I have a verticle section of ABS drainage pipe located in a wall that has an approx. 6in crack along the length of the pipe. Water slowly drips out of the crack when the water flowing through it is at full volume (washing machine draining, kitchen sink on full). I've tried ABS cement to seal the crack, but it only stopped the leak for a week and then the water started to trickle out again.
    Is there anything I can use to patch the ABS pipe that will stop the leak or will I need to replace the section of pipe?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Is this a thickwall or thinwall type pipe? 1 1/2, 2 or 4 inch?

    Anyway...there are various things you can do.

    You can glue and tape it. Use Goop household adhesive sold in the glue aisle of home centers. First roughen up and clean the surface. Coat the crack area and extend out beyond. Then after it dries enough, then apply a 2nd and even 3rd coat to give it some thickness, as on a vertical surface, it will get thin and have a tendency to run. Then, after these coats are dry enough, tightly wind electrical tape around it. This is one way.

    Another way is to section out the 6 inches. Then get one or two Fernco (type) couplings and a new aprox. 6 inch piece of pipe. Then couple in the new section. The fernco couplings are thick tubes of rubber that you tighten with stainless steel bandclamps that are already included on them.

    Or you could do this with one Fernco coupling on one end and a pipe coupling glued on the pipe on the other end.

    Or, if the pipe has give to it least in one direction, when you cut it... you could use a glued in coupling on each end with a replacement 6 inch piece of pipe in between. This is the way I would make the repair if this is possible.

    Trying to clamp rubber successfully over such a length of a crack I don't think would be a good idea, as I doubt you would be sussessful....even tho' this is a common method used for small holes or small cracks in pipe. I have done these type repairs and they actually sell the correct size diameter rubber-fitted clamps for doing so. But for a 6 inch crack?....No, I don't think so.

    That Goop adhesive is some amazing stuff. I call it the lazy man's epoxy, as it is about as good as epoxy, except you don't have to mix it. I have used it to repair a worn hole in an otherwise god $35 washing machine discharge hose, and sealing rusted drain line joints where the water was leaking out like a seive from the stories up above, in galvanized metal and cast iron, and have made these repairs years ago and never had a call back. I've use the stuff, for a kinds of adding it to the perimeter of the joints of dresser drawers that kids broke in pieces, to lock all the parts together. Once you use that stuff you will get hooked on it. It sticks to virtually anything, also. It's great to keep this Goop, electrical, and duct tape on hand.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    chicopee, Massachusetts
    Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
    Over the years I have seen dozens of methods used in an attempt to repair cracks in ABS or PVC pipe, while there are many methods that may work for a short time, I have yet to find any patch that can be trusted as a permanent solution to the problem.

    When you consider the actual cost of the pipe and fittings as opposed to the cost of the materials used to attempt to repair it, in truth, it is always cheaper to just cut the pipe and insert a replacement section, and in most instances replacing the pipe section will involve less labor time as well.

    The only major considerations here are:

    1. If the crack is in an ABS pipe you must use ABS pipe and Fittings, not PVC. The code prohibits directly gluing dissimilar plastic pipe materials.

    2. It would be best to identify the original cause of the crack. In most instances if you find a crack in a stack pipe it is indicting the stack is not properly supported. You should then consider installing additional supports.

    3.When installing supports for ABS, PVC or CPVC we may not use metal strapping or metal wire type hangers. You may use the preformed plastic J-hooks or the PVC perf strapping.

    I am sure there are those who would attempt duct tape, electrical tape and any number of glues, epoxies or silicone based liquids but the question is, can you do so with the total confidence that your are making a permanent repair? If not, you are performing a dis-service to the customer. Anyone in my employ knows first hand that if you have duct tape in your hand you better be sealing joints on ductwork and if you have electrical tape you better be wrapping metal pipe fittings for direct burial, which is the only authorized use of electrical tape in the plumbing trade.
    Last edited by LazyPup; 02-12-2006 at 07:29 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts