Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Pump just can't keep up the heat.

I have a heat pump, a programmable thermostat and a chilly house. These past few weeks have been much colder than normal for my area (highs in the mid twenties). I have my thermostat set for 60 degrees overnight, 62 during the day and 65 from 4:00pm to 11:00pm. When I get home, the thermostat usage meter show it has been in aux. heat mode for 10 hours and is still 58 to 60 degrees. I had a tech out yesterday to make sure the indoor and outdoor units are functioning properly and he said all he could find is that it needed 1/2 lb of freon. The filter is new and the outdoor unit had been serviced for a rusted-out drier 6 months ago. I have to kick the emergency heat on for about 2 hours to get the house up to 65. The tech says that 62 degrees is about all the warmer it will get even with aux. on. I realize that heat pumps can't keep up with heat loss from the dwelling when the temps. outside are below 30. Does the tech's answer sound honest? He was only there for about 20 minutes.

Any opinions and suggestions are appreciated.

How did it do when it was a little warmer? How did it do this time last year? I don't think it is uncommon to rely at least partly on auxilary heat during the coldest months of the year. Nonetheless, I might still get a second opinion.

From http://energyoutlet.com/res/heatpump/efficiency.html:

"At some outdoor temperature it will be too cold for the heat pump to provide all the heat the house needs. To make up the difference, heat pumps have a supplemental heating system - usually electric resistance..."

Anybody else have any ideas?
    Try

Comment

The tech is probably being honest. From my experience, heat pumps really don't heat well. You may try and get a second opinion, if it doesn't cost much. I don't think I could help much in this area,but good luck.

T

Comment

Working...
      X
      =