Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fireplace facing

I have a standard brick fireplace that is about 15 years old. I would like to remove the mantel and the top three courses of bricks to effectively lower the overall height of the fireplace front by about 6". Right now the height is about 6'.

I just don't know what is behind the bricks. I assume that the front is more decorative than structural, and I am hoping that there is some type of sheetrock/mortar board behind it. What esle could be back there??

Originally posted by hoats
    I just don't know what is behind the bricks. I assume that the front is more decorative than structural, and I am hoping that there is some type of sheetrock/mortar board behind it. What esle could be back there??
    You'd do better to remove and lower the mantel, fill the three coarses of brick with mortar or plaster.Because if it is a totaly masonry unit, and you should be able to tell this by looking in the attic, down the flue from the top or paying a visit to the building department,(the plans may still be on file), what is behind there is mortar encased rebar and flue.

Remember, you'll need to keep your mantel a min. of 12" above your firebox opening.
    Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Working...
    X
    =