Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• voltage reading

Hello,
    I am a first time user of this sight. I have a question on a wiring problem I have.
    The light in one of my rooms quit working. It was wired in to the attic light. The attic light would not turn on unless the bedroom light switch was on. Then the bed light quit working and the attic light worked. I found the junction box in the attic were they were spliced together, disconnected the attic light, ran a new wire from bed light to the bedroom switch. When I tested the volts at the switch hot wire to ground it reads 11 volts. If i touch hot to nuetral wire it reads 120 volts. Does this mean it is not grounded properly?

Originally posted by cmv73
    Hello,
    I am a first time user of this sight. I have a question on a wiring problem I have.
    The light in one of my rooms quit working. It was wired in to the attic light. The attic light would not turn on unless the bedroom light switch was on. Then the bed light quit working and the attic light worked. I found the junction box in the attic were they were spliced together, disconnected the attic light, ran a new wire from bed light to the bedroom switch. When I tested the volts at the switch hot wire to ground it reads 11 volts. If i touch hot to nuetral wire it reads 120 volts. Does this mean it is not grounded properly?
    that is exactly what it means.That also means that some of your receptacles are not grounded as well.You need to get this rectified fro safety reasons.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =