Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding filter to furnace?

Our furnace does not have accomodations for a filter. Is there any way to add a filter to the system? We have an updraft unit sitting on a floor over crawlspace.

Does this type of furnace of yours have a cold air return system?

If so, this means that either there is already a filter inside or could accomodate having one in there. Open the compartment up where the blower is and take a look. When filters are put inside like this, rather than through an external slot, you will often see a slide track the filter goes into, or there may be a piece of looped wire that holds back on a furnace filter. Check it out by looking inside that compartment where the cold air return enters an where the blower also is located.

Comment

Check out what Phelps said first before you cut any metal on your furnace BUT if you have to - Somewhere on the blower section you'll need to cut at least a 20X20 hole in the sheet metal enclosure. Then use a sheet metal brake and make a filter holder - looks like a flattened out Z.

Comment

I do have a cold air return in the crawlspace. I removed the access panel from the furnace, and there is a label in the bottom of the unit saying it is not made for an internal filter.

The rtuen is through the bottom, and the blower ducts straight up before turning along the ceiling. Where should I put the filter....just above the blower in the duct?

Comment

The closer to the blower the better. You could probably put one in the furnace, you would just need to make sure you have a way to secure it in. Also, make sure that you use at least a pleated filter with the wire mesh on the back to prevent the blower from pulling it into itself. Last but far from the least, check your filter once monthly.

Brandon
          - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Comment

Furnace without accomodation for filter

You have one simple solution for it. Firstly you have to find out the size of the filter in accordance with your furnace and make arrangement for fixing hooks i in appropriate area of the furnace so that the filter is to be clamped at that place and it get properly fixed over there. For this purpose you can call electrician and tell him whole the process. This will certainly solve your problem.

As you have mentioned that you have an updraft unit sitting on a floor over cwarlspace, it is better if take the services of qualified electrician.

Good luck

Comment

the original posting is 8 years old. You think anybody's gonna read it, including the OP?

Comment

Working...
              X
              =