Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating Unvented Attic Space

There is an attic area off one of my bedrooms that I was interested in modifying the insulation to. The previous owners had but boards over the uninsulated floor and stuffed insulation into the eaves and covered that with the foil paper stuff. This attic has no venting, neither do my other 2 attic spaces except the others have gable vents.

The room is setup like this, one wall is the bedroom, the opposite has boards covering the brick chimney. The other two walls is just roofing. Below the floor is my main living room.

What are recommendations on improving this space, should just the floor and the wall facing the bedroom be insulated? Should venting be added and how could this be accomplished?

You really need to add some ventilation to your attic. If your attic can't "breathe" you will always have problems. Yes, I suggest that you insulate everything that you possibly can. Mechanical codes state that you need R30 - if the house is more that a couple years old - you need more insulation.

The best thing to do would be take up the flooring and either blow in or lay insulation below it, and insulate the walls that you have spoken of. The insulation should not be smashed or packed, as doing this will actually reduce the effectiveness.

Check to make sure that the sofit vents are not obstructed (The vents under the overhang on your home). Even with gable vents, if the sofit vents are painted over, or blocked in any way, the venting system for your attic will not work correctly
    Last edited by lonestarheir; 03-14-2006, 06:12 PM.

Brandon
    - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Comment

Working...
    X
    =