Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding memory?

I've heard that having a total of more than 512 MB of memory is wastful as adding more than that will not appreciably increase performance unless you're heavily into gaming or working with very large spreadsheets or something. (I'm not).
    So, I'd like to bring my memory up to that level (I currently have a Dell Dimension 3000 with 256 MB DDR SDRAM), and from everything I've read-it's very easy to do.
    Of course the added memory has to match what's there already but I've learned that, with my set-up at least, the memory has to be added in "matched pairs"?
    Does this mean that I have to match what's there already or any added memory has to be broken down into halves and then added and therefore I need two empty slots on my motherboard?

Sorry for the long-winded question, I'm a relative novice at this.
    Dan

Have you looked inside your computer to see how many sticks you have now? How many free slots do you have? If you only have one stick now, then they don't have to be installed in pairs.

Crucial will guarantee that the ram they deliver will work in your computer, which is nice. Dell will tell you what to buy too, so you can just ask them, if you are unsure.

As far as how much, it really depends on what programs you run and how many of them at the same time. Take a look at your task manager (right click the taskbar and select task manager) to see how much ram you are using under normal load. If it is close to 512mb, then I recommend getting more. In fact, I would probably go ahead and get as much as you can afford, up to 1gb, because it will be cheaper to buy it all at once, and you can never have too much ram. The minimum I like to use is 1gb, but 2gb is always nice. Of course I usually have 30 applications or so running at the same time.

The basic idea behind ram is that you never want to run out. When you run out of memory, the computer uses temp space on your hard drive for memory, and it is much much slower than ram, so it drastically slows down your computer.
    Try

Comment

i would advise calling dell 1st -- since you will need to know the
      max RAM the board will hold prior to attempting to buy more.
      as troy stated DELL can also tell you by make and model which
      Hrtz RAM to get - hope it helps

Comment

I haven't physically gone into the processor case yet but I did have the system analyzed by CRUCIAL and according to them, I have one 256MB stick already installed with one more empty slot beside it. Again, CRUCIAL said that for optimum performance, the memory should be in pairs. Does that mean that when I got it (with ONE stick installed) it was not at its full capabilities?

Surprised they would ship a new computer that way.

Or is the difference negligable?

I intend to add another 256MB stick in the now-empty slot and in that way bring the total up to 512MB.

Sound O.K.?

BTW, the max. is 2 gigs. and the "PC" rating is 3200
        Last edited by dkpbxman; 04-16-2006, 07:21 PM.
        Dan

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. you will really notice a big difference!
          Try

Comment

Just installed it

Had to gently play with the stick a little, to make sure that all of the 184 pins were seated correctly and that the stick was secure in the DIMM, but everything's fine and the computer is reading the new memory.

The hardest part was making sure I ordered the right one (of a gazillion choices) in the first place. The actual installation was a snap.

BIG difference!
            Dan

Comment

Nice, congrats! You added another 256 mb?
              Try

Comment

Yes I did, thanks for the help.
                Dan

Comment

Working...
                X
                =