Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Economical, Electric or Natural Gas?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Economical, Electric or Natural Gas?

I'm getting ready to have a completely new heating and cooling system put in my home in eastern Kentucky. The rate at this moment in time for natural gas is approximately .15 cents per Mcf. I pay approx. .08 cents per KWH for electric.

Now for all the psychics out there which would be most economical for me?

Any brand preferences? How about for programmable thermostats? If it makes any difference I have approx. 2000 sq. ft. in my home and I plan to use 2 separate systems due to crawl space issues on an addition that was built after the initial home. Any advise would be much appreciated.

There is no right or wrong answer. I would not go with a straight electric system for sure though. A heat pump with backup electric heat is a good choice, but natural gas heats a home much better in my opinion. If available that is what I would use everytime. Each manufacture will have its own bells and whistle's. My company installs and services just about all of them. Carrier's "Infinity" series is the most advanced from what I have seen, but you will pay dearly for them. Presently only available in 18 SEER not the highest on the market, but plenty effecient for sure. They will have a 21 SEER out late this year, but not sure when yet. Your "Infinity Control" is the most advanced in the residential marketplace and can be remotely accessed from any internet connection.

It is for you if you have some $$$ to spend and love bells and whistle's, if not, anything 14 SEER or better and R410A refrigerant based will do.

Make sure you go with the R410a system - you could very well regret it if your new systems have any problems down the road.

Brandon
    - Have you changed your filter this month? -

Comment

If you get sold on a variable speed system - make sure it has a DC motor as they are the only ones actually able to preform as described. Regular motors only run at set a set speed (low, medium-low, medium, etc.)

Once you are getting into these type systems - buy a ten year parts and labor warranty. All manufactures offer them - you may just have to ask for it - it WILL pay for itself - but that also means twice yearly system checks to maintain the warranty status.

Brandon

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Brandon! Appreciate the advise. I'll make sure I go with the DC motor and the 10 year warranty.

Comment

Brandon, One more question on the refrigerant. Why do you recommend the R410A system over the R-22 system? Is the R-22 being phased out? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Yes, this year is the last year manurfactures can produce "new" R22 - they will still be able to remanufacture it. Even within the last few weeks the price of R22 is looking like it is really about to be getting very expensive quickly. My cost has gone up alot over the past year for sure. Look for the price of R22 to about equal that of R12 when it was replaced in the 90's and you will get a bit of a grasp on the cost for R22 soon, but you have to have up to say 10lbs on some systems (can even be more). R410 is not cheap right now, but as the damand grows for it, it has should begin to decrease in price
            Some people will tell you not to purchase R410a because it is a "blend" of refrigerants, so if it leaks you have to take all of it out and start fresh. This comes from plain and simple ignorance. It is simply not true!!! True enough on most blends, but not this one. I have been to numerous classes on R410a and every one of the instructor's have said the same thing. The "blend" is close enough on the molecular scale that if it leaks it does so very evenly.

Be smart - not only do your research on the units themselves, but the installing company as well. Proper installation is key to any system providing you with the comfort you desire. Sometimes it can even pay to have a third party come out after the install and pay them to give their .02 worth so that you can resolve any "issues" before they become problems.
            Last edited by lonestarheir; 04-12-2006, 11:47 PM.

Brandon

Comment

Thanks once again Brandon. You've been very informative. Take care and stay cool!

Comment

As a side note to add to what lonestar has already stated back in the 90's I purchased two 30# cylanders of R-12 about two weeks before the phase out date for $37 a cylander. A month later the wholesale price of the same cylanders was $94 each and by the end of the year it went over $300.

As the production of R-22 is phased out I would expect the wholesale cost to rise in a similar manner, and just as sure as the wholesale cost rises, the retail cost must rise proportionally.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =