Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free standing deck construction

Talked with a contractor yesterday about constructing a deck. We want a free standing deck, but he doesn't think that would be as stable (safe) as attached to house. Have appointments with two other contractors later this week and will ask them about free standing. Anyone have any advice about or experience with a 2nd story free standing structure?

If this deck is a second story which means it is more than 10' out of the ground then it would be VERY prudent to have it attached to the house. I'd be surprised if your local building inspector would approve the plans for a "free standing" deck that has a height over 10'.
    Most times they require them to be attached to the house as another form of bracing and structural strength for the deck.
    One very real problem you will have with a deck 2' or 10' tall not attached to the dwelling is the separation that will inevitably occur.
    The only time I've seen codes that don't allow decks to be attached to the dwelling is if the dwelling is a mobile home.

My advice would be to make sure it's attached to the house.

Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

I built a deck free-standing but it wasn't 10 ft off the ground. Was only five feet around a pool. basically rectangular in size, I had all sorts of x bracing from corner to corner and 45-45 gussets at the middle points outward to the corners. 12 inch sonotube sunk five feet into the soil with metal anchor supports for the posts kept everything from sinking into the ground.
      Posts were presssure treated 4X4. Everything was bolted together using 3/8" carriage bolts. Joist support were metal joist hangers for 2X10 joists spaced 12" on centers (not 16) length and width was 16 feet X 8 feet. on the 16 foot center I had a double 2X10 - joist hangers branched off this to the sides. The joists were screwd, not nailed to the hangers.

Comment

Ahhhh a man after my own heart........ "Build it....Build it right"

Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

in certain jurisdictions, you can build a freestanding without permit. According to HUD standards for mobiles/mfds. if anything is attached (deck, carport, awning) to a mfd/mobile, you must have a permit, because if it is a ground-set, not pitset or on concrete pad, the attd structure will over time affect the level of the home.

I have done several and just supported the poo of out it, always sturdy and they have never wavered. I did however pour concrete footings or pad, which helped, so ground moving over time was never an issue.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =