Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you rig a thermostat?

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could rig my thermostat at a certain temperature, so my roomate couldn't turn the place into a freezer, and cost me a fortune in bills! Anyway to do it? It's a battery powered "Maple Chase" digital thermostat. any help would be great. ha ha, thanks again..

I am not aware of any method or rigging a thermostat to a certain temperature, however you can get a locking cover to fit over the thermostat.

They are commonly used in schools, hospitals and public access structures and can be purchased rather inexpensively at any HVAC supply house.

Installation is very simple, you just fit it over the existing thermostat and screw it to the wall.

Comment

get another thermostat and hide it somewhere your roomy can't find it. wire this one to your system - leave the other one in place and he can turn and twist it anywhere but it won't have any effect

Comment

Ok, cool, I think the second thermostat would be the way to go, however the original one is across the house from my room (only about 15 yards) so how could I get the wiring from the ac unit/old thermostat to my room. All in the attic

Comment

find out which way the wire is going - either up to the attic or down to a basement or crawl space. pull the wire up down, whatever and splice on a length of similar wire and run to your BR. Then hitch up the stat and refasten the old stat where it was.

Comment

LUX makes some thermostats which have a keyboard lockour feature, It is not real sophisticated, but if you don't let him read the instruction manual, you can enter some keystrokes which prevent anyone from changing the settings.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =