Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck - span of board?

I am thinking of building a deck in my backyard - my question is how far can the span be between my concrete foundation and the concrete sono (sp?) tube? (assuming pressure treated lumber) and how what should I use a - 2x8, 2x10, or 2x12?

There is no one answer to your question since there are many variables that enter into the calculation of span length such as type of wood, grade of wood, distance between joists, etc.

Here is a span calculator from the American Wood Council which should give you some assistance:

http://www.awc.org/calculators/span/...eversecalc.asp

Comment

I agree with the previous post, there is no one definitive answer without having more information from you in regards to size you want to build and fall of the land.

My golden rule of thumb is every 8' I install a post. So if you wanted to span out from the dwelling 24' I would have 3 sets of posts at (8' centers)concreted into the ground, with double 2x12" 's on each set of posts carrying the 2x8" 's for the decking to be screwed onto.

Using standard big box hardware ACQ lumber.

Build a deck once and build it right, I've built maybe 80 decks of various sizes and styles and never had a problem with sagging or flexing.
      Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
      Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =