Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should be a simple one

I have what should be a very simple question for someone here. I recently changed all my electrical sockets and switches in my living room. I just bought replacements and wired them up exactly to how they were on the older ones. I have a light switch that controls a socket in the wall.. Since I changed everything it has since stopped controling the socket. I first changed the switch, and the function of turning a light on and off that was plugged into the old socket still worked. I then changed the socket and it stopped working. I would assume that the issue lies with the socket, but I also know there are different types of switches. This one switch is the only switch that controls this socket, so I shouldnt need a 2 way switch. Could someone tell me if I need a special socket? I can plug things into the new socket and it gets power fine, but the switch now doesnt control it at all.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Chris

If you take a look at the receptacle that you removed you'll notice that the tab is removed on the hot side. This tab connects the upper and lower portions together and is located between the screws on the side of the receptacle. You'll need to break the tab off that's on the hot side only. Let us know if this solves your problem.

Comment

Well I believe I did what you mentioned and it didnt make a difference. My friend said I may have blown the switch.. Is that possible? Everything still turns on no mater what position the switch that is hooked up to is in.

I included pics to show what I did. Please take the time to look at them.

Thanks!!!

Comment

It would be of greater value if you showed the actual screws and tab as a side view.
        While you're at, detail the wiring in both the recepticle box as well as the switch box.
        Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Working...
        X
        =