Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to fill in a basement window

Hello, I have a basement window rough-in located under where a deck will be going in (the window was accidentally broken out during a mudsill dryrot repair.) Someone suggested that I could use cinder blocks and mortar to fill in the opening... but I am concerned that the mortar may crumble out over time. Does anyone in this forum have any suggestions as to the material to use? Thanks.

As long as the foundation is either concrete or cinder blocks/brick, remove any wood on the bottom and both side surfaces.
    Using cinder blocks or bricks and mortar brick/block in the opening.
    As long as you have used the correct mortar there should not be a problem.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Basement window......

Sometimes basement windows are considered a possible method of emergency egress. If it doesn't fall into that category, bricking/blocking it in would be fine.

Comment

It doesn't fall into an emergency egress situation. The window isn't big enough for an egress window, it's located in the furnace/water heater room, and it will be blocked by a back deck. I do appreciate the word of caution though... I have made plenty of mistakes by not knowing code before.

Do you think a premix of C:1, L:1, S:6 would be a good mortar mix for this? The window is above grade in the foundation wall. Obviously the wall is load bearing, but I doubt that the window opening itself is bearing much of a load.

--Scott

Comment

The window area is not bearing any load at all so that's not a problem.

I'd just go to a big box hardware store and get premixed mortar, it will do the job just fine for such a small amount of work. I think from memory they are 1:1:6
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =