Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C problem - fix or replace? Newbie

I accidently cut the "power cable" to my a/c condensor a few days ago. I was able to re-connect the wires, but since then my a/c unit has been making this loud buzzing noise. It is MUCH louder when the fan is actually blowing, and when it's off, it still makes a buzzing noise. This goes on pretty much all day. I called a repairman and described this problem to him and was quoted $350 to replace this "connecting" cable. This seems a bit high. I also inquired as to a whole new system and was told that if I was to purchase a 4 ton system, i would need to upgrade the A-coil on my furnace (something about it being 10 -SEER and needing a new 13-SEER(it think it's SEER) unit. He also mentioned something about a Txv(?)-Valve that needed to be replaced(this might be the 10-to-13 SEER upgrade he was talking about). I was quoted around $5500 for the job. I didn't really understand much of what he was saying and don't know what brand unit he was offering. Was the initial $350 quote too high? If it was, i'm assuming that any subsequent "deal" he was offering might also be bogus. I would think that replacing the A/C unit would just require replacing the a/c unit and leaving the furnace alone. My a/c unit is outside and the furnace is in the garage. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

What does him replacing the cable do that you fixing it didn't? What is buzzing and how will replacing the cable make it stop? I find that HVAC techs more and more are charging outrageaous prices to repair in the the hopes, I suppose, of selling new equipment. The wiring replacement price is grossly out of line unless you have a situation that is beyond a normal installation. You shouldn't need a HVAC tech to repair the wiring if you want to call a regular electrician instead - the only prob with that though is the electrician won't be able to do any trouble analysis for you.

Comment

44rman - I can't help you with the buzzing, but I also recently got a quote on replacing my 30-year old system (furnace/AC, etc.). I was quoted $5800 for a 4-ton Rheem, from a dealer I've dealt with for many years and trust. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =