Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotpoint refrigerator not cooling

Hey everyone, just wondering what I should do! I had this refrigerator sitting outside (sun) for about a month or so, I finally had time to clean it up and get it inside to convert to kegerator. I turned it on for the first time and everything seems to be fine, but no cool air inside. Didn't know if it has to run for a while to get going or what? Sorry for not posting model no., thought this was a basic refrigerator question. thanks again.

Originally posted by aces11
    Didn't know if it has to run for a while to get going or what?
    Not for very long usually. As long as the compressor is running, it should start cooling almost immediately.

Sorry for not posting model no., thought this was a basic refrigerator question.
    That question was but if you want any help finding the a problem with it, we need to know *exactly* what design of refrigerator you're dealing with. (It wouldn't have hurt to post the information with your original message regardless?)

convert to kegerator.
    Have you done any of this conversion already?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

alright guys, I appreciate the responses. It is a hotpoint refrigerator, model no. ctx14cyxkrwh and underneath that...
      rm750331

No strange noises, main fan on bottom runs, and fan inside freezer runs, but no cold air.

oh, and I brought it inside and left it on for an hour or so, and still just room air temp coming out.

Next move? thanks again.

Comment

It is a hotpoint refrigerator, model no. CTX14CYXKRWH
        Good. Now we know you're dealing with a pretty standard frost free, top-freezer fridge model.

main fan on bottom runs, and fan inside freezer runs
        How about the compressor? No compressor = no cooling.

Also, you never did said whether any of this conversion had been started. And if so, *exactly* what has been done??

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Oh, no the conversion hasn't started, I checked to make sure it worked before anything was done. I'm not sure what you mean by is the compressor running. I plug it in, the main fan by the compressor starts up, and that's it. Everything looks good though, so not sure.

Comment

Compressor

no the conversion hasn't started
            Good, than it isn't likely something you've done to it (like possibly drilling into a refrigerant line).

I'm not sure what you mean by is the compressor running.
            The compressor is the large black dome-shaped thing at the rear bottom. There is a motor *inside* it that runs and moves a piston (like in a car) which compresses the refrigerant. That compressor's internal motor has to run in order to compress the refrigerant to generate refrigeration. No compressor = no refrigeration.

the main fan by the compressor starts up
            That's the condenser fan motor and while it has to run too, the main thing needed is the compressor itself running.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

ok, so I'm pretty sure now that the compressor isn't doing anything, just sitting there. What should I do now? anything to take apart and check, or is it just junk? It would be great to fix it, let me know what's possible. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm pretty sure now that the compressor isn't doing anything. anything to take apart and check
                It can only be checked somewhat from the outside (electrically and compression wise... once its running). I don't know how much you could do, a service technician would usually hook it up directly to a 'test box' to see if it would run to determine if it was defective or not. It if was defective, it almost certainly wouldn't be worth getting fixed as such a job is usually in the area of $350++

JFYI

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

disconnect it from the outlet and remove the cover where the wires go into it. see if you can find a "klixon" overload that hasn't reset - it is a bi-metal surface thermostat. it should read normally closed. next there may be a current relay in the motor circuit. usually very small it has a large winding on it in series with the motor run winding and a set of contacts. if this is shot replace it or just try jumping it out for a test.

Comment

sorry, kinda lost with your last one. how can I check it?

Comment

hey guys, before throwing the whole thing out, I tried one last thing, replacing the overload. I put it in, got it ready to turn on, and right when I plugged it in, I heard a pop. Like a fuse blowing or something. Same thing though, fans running, but no compressor.

Comment

I heard a pop. Like a fuse blowing or something.
                        From where???

Same thing though, fans running, but no compressor.
                        If the pop was from the overload, it could just be because the compressor wouldn't start... for whatever reason. That's the job of the overload, to cut out power to the compressor if it draws too much amperage or gets too hot.

Someone could check for a short to ground from each of the compressor terminals to the compressor housing. If any were shorted, it would definitely mean the compressor was bad. If not, you're still at the same place you were before, not knowing why the compressor isn't running.

JMO

Dan O.
                        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =