Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KitchenAid Dishwasher Leaking

Water leaking under door. The only seal that I can see goes from side to side and across the top but nothing on the bottom. Anyone have any suggestions or help.
    Model # KUDS25SHWH1

Grumpyone

Possible causes for leaks from a KitchenAid dishwasher door

Originally posted by Grumpyone
    Water leaking under door. The only seal that I can see goes from side to side and across the top but nothing on the bottom.
    The door is not sealed water/air tight. The lower door 'seal' (if present) is usually just a splash guard.

You can see an exploded parts view of your dishwasher at the following link:

LINK > KitchenAid KUDS25SHWH1 Exploded Parts Views

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Is the lower spray arm turning? Water being forced continually toward the door can cause it to leak out the door past the splash guard.

Does the spray arm have a split in it? A split in the spray arm can cause water to be forced directly at the gap at the lower edge of door which can allow it to get past the splash guard.

Are the screws holding the top half of the pump housing down, tight? Loose screws can allow water to squirt out the joint in the housing directly at the gap at the lower edge of door which can allow water to splash over the splash guard and onto the floor.

Is there any sign of sudsing in the wash water? Suds can cause leaking past the splash guard and out the door.

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 07-05-2015, 01:45 AM. Reason: updated link

Comment

Leak?

If your dishwasher is leaking, try to identify exactly where the leak is coming from. Following that, you should check the main tub seal, the door latch, the door gasket, the water-inlet valve, and the fill and drain hoses. If there are suds present in the leaking water, you may be using too much detergent. Make sure that your detergent is fresh and is made for dishwashers. Spilled rinse aids may cause suds and lead to an overflow situation. Wipe up any spills promptly with a damp cloth. You'll also want to make sure the dishwasher is level.
      You’ll find the main tub seal underneath the drain impeller. When working properly, the seal prevents the water in the dishwasher from leaking into the shaft of the motor. A water-filled dishwasher should only have water levels that barely cover the heating element. More than that could indicate an overfill problem.
      An improperly aligned door latch can allow water to leak from the door. Check for proper alignment and make sure that the latch isn't bent or deformed in any way.
      Where the door meets up with the tub of the dishwasher, there is a gasket or seal. It may be attached to the door or the tub. As it ages, it can lose its ability to seal properly. There is no repairing a bad gasket, and you'll have to replace it to stop any leaks.
      The water-inlet valve is usually at the bottom left or right of the dishwasher, behind the lower access panel. It's connected to the main water line from the house. You'll see the water lines connected to it. If it stays open, it can allow water to keep flowing into the dishwasher causing a flooding situation.
      There are several rubber hoses throughout the dishwasher. If one is leaking at a connection, and there is extra length on the hose, sometimes you can cut the bad part off and use a new clamp to fix it. If there is no extra length, you will have to replace the hose.

Check out the Repair Center at APWagner Appliance parts!

PS:
      Last edited by voodoochild76686; 07-09-2008, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Problem Solved Hurrah

The splash guard explanation was great. I have been thinking about our leak door problem for two months. My wife was getting ready to throw in the towel and get a new one. I tried a gasket around the tub area even though I knew that was not it. Last night I looked again at the pump housing and the sprayer. I found the pump screws loose. Tightened them and walla. It works. Thanks for saving me at least a couple of $200 or so.
        Last edited by Dan O.; 07-05-2015, 12:08 AM. Reason: Formatting

Comment

Screw loose

I found the pump screws loose. Tightened them and walla.
          Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 07-05-2015, 12:21 AM.

Comment

the water normally hits the door and drips back down into the tub. the door bottom just overlaps the tub a bit. water leaks at the bottom corners of the door. my sears has a silicone seal that goes all around the door but not the door bottom. there are black silicone seals that go against the door when its closed and locked. sometimes you'll find the dishwasher sides are not straight so the door doesn't seal properly. flexing the side slightly inwards allows the door seal to properly bottom out on the seal and side.

Comment

Dan O. is a "Rock Star"!!!

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post

Are the screws holding the top half of the pump housing down, tight? Loose screws can cause water to squirt out the joint in the housing directly at the gap at the lower edge of door which can allow water to splash over the splash guard and onto the floor.
              Dan O. -

I've been trying to fix our dishwasher for a week now, finally found this thread. The screws were loose on the pump housing. Tightening the screws fixed the problem!!!

Thanks for the post. -Scott
              Last edited by Dan O.; 10-10-2009, 09:47 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Another repair

Tightening the screws fixed the problem!
                Glad to hear it. Thanks for the follow up.

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 07-05-2015, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Wow! Two excellent examples of how carefull observation proved to be the key to an appliance repair. A good repairman tends to be a good observer of equipment.

That doesn't always translate to other gear, though. I've had bicycle and other repairmen point out problems that were easily observed if I had looked for them carefully.

Comment

Thanks guys,

I've had the same leaking problem for one whole year now... I made a search using "kitchen-aid dishwasher leaking" and it drove me here...

When I saw the loosen screws on pump upper casing, I went in and saw that, not only one screw was missing (I found it under the skirt, close to the lower pump casing...), another one was very loose and the gasket was coming out of the casing....

I've put back the gasket in it's groove, having it turned 180degrees from it's original place in order to put the difformed part towards the rear of the machine... And, also, I've put back the screws back, using some Loctite 518 gasket former on the threads in order to "lock" them in the casing.

Thanks again guys, you saved me a lot of money.

Michel

Comment

Thanks!!!!!

I was chasing down my problem thinking it was the float and/or overflow sensor - when I read this post.

I popped off the lower washarm and it was exactly as described - one lonely torx screw on the pump cover was up a mere 1/4" inch..but that was enough that the gasket underneath had popped out of its groove and was hanging out. (I am sure this allowed high-pressure water to spray directly against the bottom door "seal" and then right out onto the floor as described.)

I took the pump cover completely off, put the gasket back in, tightened down all the screws - FIXED!

$0.00 spent!

Thanks so much, all!

Comment

main tub seal leaking

Originally posted by voodoochild76686 View Post
                        If your dishwasher is leaking, try to identify exactly where the leak is coming from. Following that, you should check the main tub seal
                        I did some work on my KitchenAid KUDR01TJBL0 and the main tub seal is now leaking. Is there anything special I needed to do when putting it back together that I might have missed?

Comment

is it crazy to use silicone on a leaking tub seal (Pump Sump Gasket)?

It is definitely the main tub seal (Pump Sump Gasket) that is leaking and it is seated properly.

I have inspected the seal, and there are no obvious tears or other problems.

As this is 9 year old dishwasher, would I be crazy to use silicone to prevent leaking on the tub seal to prolong the life of the unit?

i just an not in the mood for putting too much $ into this old unit - but is that a crazy shortcut?

this is the process and the unit:

technicianbrian.com/2008/07/replacing-kitchenaid-and-whirlpool-tall.html

KitchenAid KUDR01TJBL0

Comment

Plumbers putty?

Or what about using some plumbers putty to prolong the life of the seal?

Comment

would I be crazy to use silicone to prevent leaking on the tub seal
                              Lazy anyway. I don't know what is causing your problem but resorting to silicone or plumbers putty would not usually be recommended. It shouldn't be needed, ever.

Try to investigate further to find and correct the actual cause. Maybe the sump gasket needs to be replaced after whatever service was performed?

JMO

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
                              Last edited by Dan O.; 07-19-2010, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =