Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceiling

I am new to this site and learninh how to use it as I go.
    I am working on taking down accustic tile from a master bedroom ceiling. I suspect previous owners used them as a quick fix bandaid for sale About 1/2 through the removel I found as I pushed up on the ceiling I am getting movment. . I have cut through some of the cracking plaster and I am finding gray wood that is not looking too healthy. ( praying this is not going to lead me to find joists rotting) I am going up into the attic to look around for the major problem.... If it is only as far as a few supports life is good. I am looking for any suggestions or cautions before I get up into the attic and look around. Has anyone done anything this major on a interior ceiling??

If it is an old house then graying lumber is not such an extraordinary thing. Poke the ceiling joists with a sharp object (like a skewer) and see if you get easy penetration, if you do then most probably a repair job is in order.

Plaster being loose from ceilings in older homes again is a common occurrence, sometimes it is very localized and can be fixed reasonably easy, other times it's well spread and usually removal and replacement with drywall is the best option. ( NOTE: this is a MESSY option.... ).
    Without further description from you (or pictures) it's hard to give any other advice.
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

Comment

ceiling

thanks for the information...I went on a trek to the attic and found that sometime ago it must have had lots of water in there.all the spray in insulation is hard and compacted in that area. the ceiling has a bow that is pretty visable. I believe that dry wall (1/4") is the most logical choice. being sure to not use the attic in that area for anything weight bareing. I would love to show you pix but Digital is FUBAR for the moment. Joists past your poke test (thanks great idea) but I am going to replace several of the cross supports. it is an old house and a very open attic as they used to do in those days with the joists running the whole length of the house without the center supports of the newer homes. this isnt just a job its an adventure... the 1/4" dry wall should have enough flex to it to "cover/deal with the bow" then I will paint and call it good. thanks for the information and the Its nice to know i have an information depot when I run into something I havent seen before.

Comment

Originally posted by bbyblujeans
        Joists past your poke test (thanks great idea) .
        Let me clarify the "poke Test" this is not a definitive structural test, it is /was meant as a simple and effective way to determine if there is any obviuos signs of rot or pest damage. Of course if bearers or joists are bowing then further investigation is required for possible fractures in the lumber.
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =