Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standby...

The cat knocked the mouse off the desk while my wife was using the 'puter. It went into standby mode. The book 'Windows XP for Dummies' is helpful in describing how to get it there, but not very helpful in telling how to get back from standby. It just says to use the PC. Sure. Use it ... how? How does one get out of the standby? We tried powering down, even unplugging the system. Now what?

Standby update.....

After fussing with it a while, it started talking to us! Every key we touched was dexcribed over the speakers. Still nothing but a black screen. Aafter following Dell's suggestions of unplugging/plugging and such, I managed to get it to safe mode with the F3 key. Also managed to get it back to a known restore point. It did what it was supposed to, but then, on reboot, it went back to the black screen again. I'll reseat all the boards tomorrow. If that doesn't help, then a call to Dell will be in order.....

Comment

You can usually get out of standby by pressing the power button. I am not sure it is standby that you are experiencing, sounds more like a problem to me?
      Try

Comment

More of a problem....

Good way of describing it, Troy. "More of a problem". Yesterday, when Windows was loading, there's that multi-colored activity bar just below midscreen.....well, the multi-colors were staggered from in that block to almost the side of the screen. When finished, the whole screen lit up with vertical stripes. Really weird. Just by chance, I found that moving the mouse would 'clean' the screen to appear normal. Well, I thought I was on a good path with that too and did an honest shutdown/restart. Nope. Goes back to black screen at startup again. So I guess it's time for a call to Dell support to find out what other ideas they may have. Followed all the stuff in the book with no affect...

Comment

Yeah, call Dell. Is it still under warranty? Tell them about the multi-colored activity, I think that will be a good clue for them...
          Try

Comment

Easy fix for 'standby'...

Dell support had me reseat the card for the monitor. And that did it! Sure am glad when it's a simple thing. Frustrating to not know, but glad that it was that easy......

Comment

SOunds good you got it fixed. Throw us a note if you need more help.
              ceramic tiling tips

Comment

Working...
              X
              =