Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KitchenAid Refrigerator not cooling

Just went on vacation for a long weekend and had a friend house sit for us. We told him to make sure he shuts the refigerator door and if it isnt shut an alarm will go off. Well, we got home and the door was open and the refrigerator was not cooling. Is there a reset switch on the compressor? I don't mind paying for the repair I just din't want to get ripped off if there is a simple solution. Thanks for your help.

Kitchenaid Bottom Mount
    Model #KBFA25ERSS

Defrost it?

Originally posted by Bugsy
    we got home and the door was open and the refrigerator was not cooling.
    Not cooling at all??

If it is cooling somewhat, it may just need a *thorough* defrosting (see the following link).

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

Is there a reset switch on the compressor?
    The compressor has an overload protector but it is nothing you can reset. Once the conditions change that cause it to open, it should reset on its own... unless it's defective.

If the compressor is NOT running, are you sure it is suppose to be running at that particular time?
    Maybe the fridge is just in a defrost cycle (see the following link)?? Are any of its fan motors running?

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

I still think if the doors where left open for any length of time, the 'not cooling' may just be the result of an excessive frost build-up. In such a case the fridge should likely be manually defrosted by turning off or unplugging it for 12-24 hours *while leaving the doors open* (very important during a defrosting).

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll unplug it tonight and restart in the morning.

Comment

BTW. If you have a problem with the doors closing properly, someone should try to correct that as the doors being left open puts added strain on the refrigerator which could lead to premature component failure.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I really appreciate your help Dan! I defrosted for 24 hours with the doors open
          and restarted but it looks like theres still a problem. The Freezer seems to be cooling but the refigerator is still warm. In fact the center of the french doors is actually warm. Any other ideas? Again I really appreciate your help.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bugsy
            it looks like theres still a problem. The Freezer seems to be cooling but the refigerator is still warm.
            Than someone will likely need to check the other things mentioned at the previous link I supplied.

There is also the possibility that the defrosting which was done was not thorough enough - if it was very badly frosted up. Someone may need to inspect the evaporator (cooling) coil itself to ensure it is thoroughly defrosted. That inspection is also one of the observations mentioned at that link, to check for possible refrigeration system problems.

In fact the center of the french doors is actually warm.
            The area between the doors should always be warm on a refrigerator to prevent condensation from forming there. I'm afraid I have no idea if the amount of heat you are feeling is abnormal or maybe just more noticeable because of the fridge compartment is not cooling properly.

BTW. If you decide to call for service, do NOT defrost or unplug the fridge prior to service. The technician will need to see the appliance in its running but failed state in order to know where to start checking for possible culprits.

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Bugsy View Post
              I really appreciate your help Dan! I defrosted for 24 hours with the doors open
              and restarted but it looks like theres still a problem. The Freezer seems to be cooling but the refigerator is still warm. In fact the center of the french doors is actually warm. Any other ideas? Again I really appreciate your help.

Dave
              We have the same fridge with the same problem - this is the second time in less than a year it's happened. What repair was required for your fridge?

Comment

Originally posted by bgrant@metalogic-inc.com

We have the same fridge with the same problem - this is the second time in less than a year it's happened. What repair was required for your fridge?
                What repair was required the last time for you??

(Not that it is necessarily the same cause now nor that the cause in the OP's case is the same as yours either. Each appliance problem should be evaluated on its own basis).

JMO

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X
                =