Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maytag: does taking the cardboard off the back stop it from cooling?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maytag: does taking the cardboard off the back stop it from cooling?

Maytag MDS 2556A side by side:

We cleaned behind the fridge last week. The black cardboard with insulation that covers the bottom back was in pieces- so I threw it away.

Now, the freezer isn't freezing!

Thanks for any advice!

That black cardboard service cover is also an intergral part of the ducting system to direct the airflow from the condenser fan over the condenser coil. With the cover removed the air simply blows out the back of the refrigerator body and does not go over the condenser therefore the refrigeration process cannot work correctly.

The proper solution would be to take the make and model number to your dealer or an appliance parts supply house and order a new cover, but be forwarned, you may expect a bit of sticker shock when you see the price.

An alternative solution would be to take a piece of common corrugated carboard and duct tape it in place to cover the lower service opening.

Comment

Model number incorrect and incomplete

Originally posted by JBrown

Maytag MDS 2556A side by side
      That is only part of a model number (and it appears to be incorrect to boot!). Did you get it right off that appliance's model and serial number tag? That is the only reliable place the complete model number will be found.

You can find tips for locating that tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked at the bottom of the page.

We cleaned behind the fridge last week. The black cardboard with insulation that covers the bottom back was in pieces- so I threw it away. Now, the freezer isn't freezing!

does taking the cardboard off the back stop it from cooling?
      Yes! As LazyPup said, it has to be in place for proper operation of the appliance. It is not just there for decoration/ascetics.

Originally posted by LazyPup
      An alternative solution would be to take a piece of common corrugated cardboard and duct tape it in place to cover the lower service opening.
      I looked up a Maytag SxS model MSD2556AEW and the compressor compartment cover for it (see the following link) looks a little more intricate than just a flat piece of cardboard with insulation. The OP should probably consider getting and using the proper replacement part to insure proper operation of the appliance?

LINK > Maytag MSD2556AEW Compressor Compartment Cover

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =