Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genie Garage Door Problem (Excelerator H8000D-2K)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genie Garage Door Problem (Excelerator H8000D-2K)

I had a new house build last year with a 3 car garage. (2 doors). I did a little research & bought two Genie Excelerator H8000D-2K garage door openers. I didn't have the time to install both so I only did the one for the main door (standard door) It worked great for about 5/6 months. The problem is that the light will turn on & off but the door will not open (if closed) or close (if already open). The remotes & the wall mount do nothing. So I unplugged it & plugged it back in.. (the lock is not on) it worked for about a week or so. (This went on for weeks) Now, I still have the same opener, new in the box for the 2nd door. So I pulled the motor & swapped it with the malfunctioning one. It worked GREAT!! I thought my problems were over.. Not so fast.. 3 months later.. It's doing it again.. I have 12 ft ceilings so pulling the ladder out of the shed 4 or 5 times a week was a pain in the butt. I went in the basement & clicked the circuit breaker off & on. Now.. It works again.. (for now) What could be the problem here?? Why do I need to keep reseting this damn thing?

By the way.. The door sensor lights are on & working fine.

Thank You for any help..
    Carl
    Last edited by CK3; 08-12-2006, 03:01 AM.

bump.......

Comment

Anyone????

Comment

ok first, you need to check the force settings on the unit to see if the motor is over stressing. the unit turns on and moves the door a few inches or half way and stop dead in motion. this is a sign that the motor is over stressed. it can happen in the up travel of the garage door or the down travel. if this is the case, you will need to reset the force adjustment to match the door weight. the force adjustments are usually set to 3 or 4. the higher the number on the force the more weight the motor can take. start at 3 or 4 . let the door travel up and then down. you can put one hand on the garage door and make the unit stop anytime you wish.
        good luck

just remember if the door hits something are you have the froce adjustment at 7 it may not stop and will possible hurt or damage somethiing

Comment

Sorry to dredge up an old post.

I had a very similar experience with my H8000D.

The garage door would not open but it would close just fine. If I unplug the unit and plug it back in again it would work for a while but then it would stop working again sooner or later. Upon further examination, it turned out that the unit was going into "vacation mode". I noticed that the green LCD was blinking 8 times, pausing, then blinking 8 times repeatedly. The manual's troubleshooting section says that the unit is in vacation mode but my lock switch was solidly in the unlocked position. To troubleshoot this the tech support guy at Genie had me disconnect the wall unit (you know, the thing with the buttons to open and close the garage door) and everything worked fine again, albeit without the ability to open the garage door from the inside of my garage but it's a start. They're sending me a replacement unit to try to repair this.

Call Genie TS at 800-354-3643 (800-35GENIE) and have them help you with your door opener.

Comment

The problem you are having is in the circuit board. Genie excelerators are notorious for this problem. You need a new circuit board. If you decide to replace it do yourself a favor and buy a craftsman or a Liftmaster. Stay away from screwdrives all together.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =