Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot water heater issues

Just bought my first home (closed friday) and I am pretty broke, and the electric hot water heater decided to stop producting hot water.

Its got power going into it, but it doesn't seem to be getting past the top switch. The bottom switch seems to be working, but no power is going to it so it doesn't heat up. My theory is the top switch or top heating element is bad.

ideas?

thinking of bypassing the top switch and just running the bottom switch with the bottom heater. this is a really bad idea that I will burn my house down with?

thanks

Originally posted by 352ford
    this is a really bad idea that I will burn my house down with?

thanks
    Take my advice, dont do anything half a$$ with your water heater. If your luck is anything like mine and water heaters you are in for a major hassle. Sounds to me like you either got a short in a thermostat/switch or is the top element is gone out. I dont know how much an element runs but from what I remember they shouldnt be too bad. A little more tests with the voltmeter should narrow it down. Just be careful.

But please dont try and 'rig anything up. Just read my other post. These guys here are sure to give you a very in depth (esp. LP) on what is prolly wrong and how to fix. Good luck

Comment

before you go nuts with a hot water heater, the elements are about 11 bucks apiece. get a stamped steel wrench for the element when you get the elements. size is 1 1/2 inch.
      power is fed first to the upper element at whatever the stat is set at, then it is transferred to the lower element. the top controller has a red reset button in it - try pressiing - it may reset. across the top two screws you should read 240 volts. if you have access to a clamp around ammeter, clamp it around one of the leads going to the upper element. if the element is working there should be an ampere reading of about 6.25 amps. if the element is rated at 1500 watts
      try turning up the set point to a higher setting which should kick in the element.

Comment

I measured the resistance of the elements, and they are both around 15 ohms, so I am assuming that means they are good. Neither element is getting power and the bottom switch seems to work, so I guess that leaves the top switch. It is one of those non adjustable types.

I pressed the red reset buttons many times with no improvement as well

I am thinking I should replace the upper switch, but one thing that concerns me is it appears to be riveted to the inner metal tank, and I am thinking there is a good chance if I remove the rivits I will spring a leak.

thanks again

Comment

During normal operation the Upper Thermostat or "top switch" as you call it heats the top element first as Hay Zee 518 mentioned. If you have no hot water and the elements are good and there is 240 volts at the top of the upper thermostat and no power to the element and the reset is not out the upper thermostat is bad. You can usually slide it up from behind the spring tabs that hold it against the tank. Make sure you read the wiring diagrams to see the correct set up. There are several different upper thermostats that have screws in the same spots but have different wiring configurations based on the one you are removing.

If you have warm water the lower circuit is sometimes the problem, however based on the information you provided it could be the upper thermostat is not switching power to the lower thermostat.

Comment

it was the top switch, thanks guys

Comment

Feedback appreciated!

Thank you for the feedback. You rarely hear back what the actual solution is. It adds to the credibility of the forum and gives a sense of satisfaction to the responders in knowing the original poster was successful.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =