X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retensioning garage door spring

hello fellow members,
    i need to retension my garage door spring, the wires got
    tangled around the cones and so to shut it i had to cut them and i think thats when the tension went. so if anyone can help tell me how to retension the spring i would be most grateful.
    thanks

Which type of springs do you have?
    Can you post a pic?

Comment

type of spring

camera isnt working.....the spring is at the top of the door and it goes the entire lenght of the door, have been trying to wind it up but im worried it might go ping. on one end there is a nut type thing with two grub screws, i have slacken the grubs and am winding it from the nut thing. when i release the pressure it takes up the slack on the wires down the side but thats all.. thanks....
      pleasehelp

Comment

Originally posted by pleasehelp
        camera isnt working.....the spring is at the top of the door and it goes the entire lenght of the door, have been trying to wind it up but im worried it might go ping. on one end there is a nut type thing with two grub screws, i have slacken the grubs and am winding it from the nut thing. when i release the pressure it takes up the slack on the wires down the side but thats all.. thanks....
        pleasehelp
        This is going to be difficult without seeing it, but I'll give it a shot. I have to assume you mean the spring is accros the width of the door and it is a wound spring with a spindle that winds a cable as the door raises. If so the ends have a round collar with set screws. The collar should have 4 round holes 90 degrees apart. You need to get two pieces of round stock that will fit in the holes. You can then use the round stock to turn the collar a quarter turn at a time. Rotate the collar one quarter turn then put the other peice of RS in the next hole remove the first RS and go another quarter turn etc... Count each turn and turn the opposite end the same number of turns. Hope this helps, I could help better if I had more info. Let me know hoew you do.

Comment

Retightening that garage door spring isn't a DIYer job and is really dangerous. There's enough tension on that spring that it could rip your arm off. Call a pro, really, it's not worth getting hurt over.

Comment

Originally posted by Piper
            This is going to be difficult without seeing it, but I'll give it a shot. I have to assume you mean the spring is accros the width of the door and it is a wound spring with a spindle that winds a cable as the door raises. If so the ends have a round collar with set screws. The collar should have 4 round holes 90 degrees apart. You need to get two pieces of round stock that will fit in the holes. You can then use the round stock to turn the collar a quarter turn at a time. Rotate the collar one quarter turn then put the other peice of RS in the next hole remove the first RS and go another quarter turn etc... Count each turn and turn the opposite end the same number of turns. Hope this helps, I could help better if I had more info. Let me know hoew you do.
            many thanks for taking the time to assist me with this problem, the shaft has only 1 hole so i put a bar in that hole, then took up the pressure of the spring using a spanner on the nut (this is attached to 1 end of the spring ) unscrewed the grub screws and started to wind it anti-clockwise. the door will now go up but if i let it go gravity takes over and it slowly comes down. do i just need to keep doing what i'm doing until it stays up...cheers

Comment

Believe me, you should really just call a pro and spend the few bucks so you don't end up hurting yourself, but, if you're intent on doing this the link below may give you some help.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...nftorsion.shtm

Comment

Pleasehelp:
                You got it! Just be careful.

kactus:
                Great link.

Comment

done it !!!

to piper and kactus,
                  with your help i have done it, so many thanks to you both for your help, that handyman website is fantastic and very informative. cheers lads and speak soon when the wife breaks something else.
                  leon (pleasehelp)

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =