Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maytag refer doesn't stop

My Maytag refer is 3yrs old model #mtb1950grq. The fan runs continously, this has just started the last month or so. At about the same time it started making a clunking noise - coming from the back of the freezer. It does not have an ice dispenser and the freezer is on the top. Both the freezer and refer are cooling fine but there has been a large jump in electric usage. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Originally posted by Mike40
    Maytag model # mtb1950grq. The fan runs continuously
    Which fan? Inside the freezer, outside the appliance by the condenser?

You're *certain* it is running 100% of the time, 24 hours a day, nonstop???

What about the compressor? Is it running too? All the fridge's fans should be running whenever the compressor is running.

Both the freezer and refer are cooling fine
    With the fans (and hence the compressor) running 100% of the time, the appliance should be too cold somewhere. Either that or it should be too warm somewhere and the fridge is running more often trying and get the temperatures down.

What is the actual temperature of food in the fridge and freezer compartments?

At about the same time it started making a clunking noise - coming from the back of the freezer.
    Inside the freezer compartment or behind the appliance??

Is the noise continuous or just periodic?

If coming from behind the appliance, it could be coming from the compressor (see the following link) in which case the refrigerator may need service.

LINK > My new refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

fan

The fan I am refering to is the one inside the freezer that cirulates the air. It does not sound like the condensor is running. yhe clunking I referref to is not continuous but occasional and sounds like it is comming from inside the freezer - It sounds like ice cracking. As for how often it is running i have never heard it not running over the past month. Last night I turned the freezer off for a few seconds so the fan would go off, the fan went on within 1-2 minutes after I turned it back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike40

It does not sound like the condensor is running.
        The "condenser" is the hot part of the refrigeration system and is just a series of tubing. The "compressor" is the heart of the refrigeration and if is wasn't running, your fridge would not cool at all.

he clunking I referred to is not continuous but occasional and sounds like it is coming from inside the freezer
        It might be possible that frost has built up on the evaporator (cooling) coil to the point where the fan blade is hitting it. That however would more often result in a rhythmic ticking sound.

It sounds like ice cracking.
        The only thing I can think of that might create such a sound is maybe when the fridge went into a defrost cycle (see the following link - and was also described at the previous link I supplied) but at which time both the compressor and all fan motors would stop running.

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

i have never heard it not running over the past month.
        That doesn't necessarily mean it is always running. How long *in a row* was it watched for or were the observations just made when you happend to be passing by it? It could just be coincidence.

Last night I turned the freezer off for a few seconds so the fan would go off
        It is not a good idea to turn off a fridge then right back on again. The refrigerant gases need at least a couple of minutes to equalize or it will put too much strain on the compressor and likely not allow it to start.

the fan went on within 1-2 minutes after I turned it back on.
        The interior "fan" should come on almost immediately as long as the fridge should be cooling. It is the compressor which would likely take several minutes to start back up again.

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Works fine

Dan O thanks for you help and advice. I manually defrosted my refer over a 2 day period. Since that time it seems to be running much better -no sounds and the fan turns on and off. Not sure if it was a permanent fix or just temporary. The more I thought about it the problem started around the same time we had a 5-6 hour power outage on a hot night. I wonder if that may have had something to do with it? -

Comment

I manually defrosted my refer over a 2 day period. Since that time it seems to be running much better -no sounds and the fan turns on and off. Not sure if it was a permanent fix or just temporary.
            If it was a defrost problem, it will likely be back. A refrigerator will usually only last about a week without its defrost system functioning... depending on ambient conditions and usage.

the problem started around the same time we had a 5-6 hour power outage on a hot night. I wonder if that may have had something to do with it?
            Very unlikely.

JMO

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
            X
            =