Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roper Gas Dryer working internittently

Hi,

A few days ago, I noticed my dryer timer wasn't shutting off the dryer, then shortly after that it wasn't drying the clothes. But if I leave the dryer for a while then go turn it back on the heat comes back on but doesn't quite dry the clothes. I do at least two loads a day. 4 children, 2 parents and loads of cloth diapers. So my dryer receives a pounding. Lint trap is clear, exhaust hose is clean.

I was looking over the past posts and acme site and was thinking the timer motor and gas valve coils. Anything else to test? Once I figure out what to replace where might I go buy it? Directly from roper or whirpool? Anyone here sell parts?

I have a Roper Gas Dryer RGX4634JQ0. Its probably 6-8 years old.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Laura
    earthmomma to Kirsten 10 yrs, Brooke 4 yrs, Connor 18 months and
    Joshua 2 weeks

** I noticed my dryer timer wasn't shutting off the dryer **

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean the timer goes past the OFF position but the dryer doesn't stop?

** the heat comes back on but doesn't quite dry the clothes... Lint trap is clear, exhaust hose is clean. **

The vent is clear *all the way from the dryer to the outdoors* or just from the dryer to the inside house wall???

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O.
      ** I noticed my dryer timer wasn't shutting off the dryer **

What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean the timer goes past the OFF position but the dryer doesn't stop?

** the heat comes back on but doesn't quite dry the clothes... Lint trap is clear, exhaust hose is clean. **

The vent is clear *all the way from the dryer to the outdoors* or just from the dryer to the inside house wall???
      Timer/knob doesn't advance. If I turn off the dryer and wait 5 minutes or so and turn it on again the heat will come on for about 10-15 minutes and then the air just blows cold again and will tumble until I come back to turn the dryer off.

The vent is clear from the lint trap through the machine and the exterior hose to the outside.

I am leaning towards thinking the gas valve coils are going if the dryer only heats for a short bit before blowing the room air again.

Laura
      earthmomma

Comment

Check dryer vent all the way to the outdoors!

** Timer/knob doesn't advance. **

Even on a "timed" setting?? (as opposed to an 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting)

** The vent is clear from the lint trap through the machine and the exterior hose to the outside. **

How about from the hose to the outside actually TO THE OUTSIDE? The air's got to be able to get all the way to the outdoors.

** I am leaning towards thinking the gas valve coils are going if the dryer only heats for a short bit before blowing the room air again. **

That may be a possibility if the vent is not blocked anywhere from the dryer *right to the outdoors* but neither would affect the timer's operation except on an 'auto' setting. You may actually have multiple problems if the timer is not advancing even on a 'timed' setting.

No heat could also be caused by a problem in one of the dryer's thermostats and also the gas burner's flame sensor.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Well, I am pretty sure I had checked to make sure the air flow can get ALL THE WAY OUT to the actual outside. Thanks though for making me check it again. Too bad that isn't the problem.

I replaced the valve coils with the "Solenoid Coil Kit" from a parts store on ebay for $15.00 plus $5.00 shipping and THAT FIXED IT!

Hooray, I am so proud of myself, now I can go back to doing my loads of laundry and cloth diapers.

Laura
          stay at home "earthmomma" to Kirsten 10 yrs, Brooke 4 yrs, Connor 18 months and
          Joshua 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by earthmomma View Post

I replaced the valve coils and THAT FIXED IT!
            Glad to hear it although I don't know how that would affect operation of the timer on a regular 'timed' setting. They could affect operation of the timer on a 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting though.

Thanks for the follow up!

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

My apologies for being confusing. I should have specified that I use the auto setting and that wasn't shutting off. The timed setting did work except for the heat which would only work for a short bit on either setting.

That probably would have been clearer.

Laura

Comment

Job well done

Yes, in that case I would have suggested the burner solenoid coils as a possibility (as well as a plugged vent which you confirmed was not the cause in your case).

BTW. Those solenoid coils are pretty inexpensive... even without buying them on eBay. Not usually very difficult to replace either.

LINK > Whirlpool/KitchenAid/Kenmore/Roper - Gas Dryer Burner Solenoid Coils

JFYI

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM. Reason: updated link

Comment

Working...
                X
                =