Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <<<<<< HELP!!! >>>>>>

As I walked into my washroom I noticed water on the floor. As I proceeded I opened the door to a flooded garage, only a few inches of water. Apparently, the pvc pipe to the water conditioner had a crack and water had been spraying everywhere for about three hours. Well, the pipe is fixed and we once again have running water. Now, my question. Certain parts of the electricity in the house does not work. Kitchen does not, nor does the master bath, and several outlets in the walls around the house. Although, all of the rest of the rooms and outlets are fine. I figure some of the spraying water got into the breaker panel. The panel is located next to the pipe about four feet away. I would appreciate any advice.... Thanks, CJ

Is it an older house? Sometimes they have done some pretty wacky branch circuit routings, so if one of the outlets near the water arced out, it may be connected to various (sometimes not obvious) outlets/lights. And we are assuming you actually reset all of the breakers right?
    If you do think it is a breaker panel then you should remove the breakers, clean the contacts and re-install or replace if they were damaged. (Obviously) turn off the main breaker before doing anything here. But you should be able to remove individual breakers easily. Clean them with some scotch brite pad (or something similar) and try to find some conductive (electrical) grease. The grease will not necessarily fix any conductivity problems, but will help the contacts from corroding again. My guess would be doing them one at a time will be easier so you do not mix up any wires.

Comment

First thing I did was fix the pipe then dry the area, after which I reset the breakers and noticed the electricity wasn't working in some areas of the house. The house is less than ten years old. I'm pretty sure it is due to the water spraying in the panel area, not sure what to do... Any other advice.?.

CJ

Comment

Judging from the main locations listed (kitchen, bath) I think I'd look for a GFI outlet or two that may have tripped due to moisture induced leakage current.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =