Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water dripping from below drip tray when door open

Side by side refrigerator with ice/water dispenser FRS6R4EW5 1 year old
    This refrigerator works perfectly except now i have discovered water dripping down the front side of the refrigerator only when you open the freezer door. This only happens when the refrigerator is left sitting a few hours like when i come home from work or over night. The water seems to come from below the drip tray. The top of the drip tray is always dry and i never spill water to over flow the drip tray for the water to go below it. How can water come from below the drip tray? The shelves on the door on the inside are empty and there are no leaks of water anywhere. The drip tray is not removable. i tried and it seems that there are either screws or plastic clips holding it in. I dont want to break any of the clips.

'Drip Tray'

The water seems to come from below the drip tray.
    What are you referring to when you say "drip tray"? The moistral pan beneath the refrigerator???

** The shelves on the door on the inside are empty and there are no leaks of water anywhere. **

There is no water/ice on the floor of the freezer compartment?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The drip tray i'm refering to is the small tray just below the ice/water dispencer that collects spilt water. It some refrigerator the drip tray can be easily by pulling out for cleaning. Mine is either screwed on or has clips that may break when pulled off.
      There is no water anywhere on the inside of the shelves of bottom floor. The refrigerator works perfectly except when you leave it standing for a few hours and then open the freezer door ,water drips from under this tray . I just can't figure out how water gets below the tray? If anything falls out of the dispencer, the top of the drip tray will surely catch it. how is it that water ends up below the dray and only spills out when you open it. Some how it has to come from the inside.
      Another quest: if i use the ice dispender and a block of ice gets held back by the ice dispencer lid (the flap that you can see that seals the ice dispencer travel shute. this lid can be be seen if you bend down in front of the refrigerator and look up to the ice dispencer opening. this flap opens to deliver ice and then closes back.) the question is : the area behind the flap is it still part of the freezer compartment or is it subjected to the outer room temp?

Comment

Hey, i just stumbled upon this. it is from the on the house with the carey bros. What you think ?

The Whole Truth and Nothing But

You open the freezer and water drips on your foot. It's Christmas time and you don't want to buy a new refrigerator or spend $500 on a fast-talking repairman. Don't worry. You are just another victim of needless self-defrosting freezer crime, a nasty little secret nobody likes to talk about. It causes a mess and smells up your freezer and your kitchen, if you don't move fast to stop it. First turn off the freezer dial. Then arm yourself with a turkey baster -- full of hot water. Look for the drain hole on the bottom of the freezer, way in back. It's a half-inch hole probably under water, and might be blocked with ice. Clear it, put the baster in the hole and blast away. Mold and mildew has trapped water, which then froze and clogged the drain. Pour some warm water and bleach through, too. Then remove and clean the drip pan below. Freezer crime solved! And that's the On The House tip for today.

Comment

** On The House tip for today.... What you think ? **

A blocked defrost water drain (which is what they're talking about) would cause water to pool (eventually freezing into ice) in the bottom of the freezer compartment on a SxS refrigerator model. That water would eventually build up to the point of leaking out the door onto the floor.

That's why I asked about signs of ice in the freezer. If there's none, a blocked defrost water drain is not the cause of your problem and thus their solution not applicable to your situation.

** The drip tray i'm refering to is the small tray just below the ice/water dispencer that collects spilt water. ...when you leave it standing for a few hours and then open the freezer door, water drips from under this tray. **

Sorry but I've never heard of such a thing.

** the area behind the flap is it still part of the freezer compartment or is it subjected to the outer room temp? **

The flap separates room air from the freezer compartment air.

I don't know if it will help, but you can see exploded parts views of your model at the following link:

LINK > Frigidaire FRS6R4EW5 Exploded Parts Views

JFYI

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Yes , the water that get spilt on the floor comes from below the drip tray .
            You said that yon never heard of the drip tray. look at the link that you sent me at the diagrams- the ice/water dispencer , it is part labeled #23 called the trip tray. check it out

Comment

Clarification

** You said that yon never heard of the drip tray **

No. I said I never heard of water coming from beneath that tray. Beneath that tray should usually be the door's insulation (which on modern refrigerators is usually foamed in place - "FIP" for short).

You might want to consider having a Frigidaire *factory authorized* service depot look into the cause for you. I can't think of an explanation besides maybe poorly foamed in door insulation, possibly allowing condensation to form.

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

hello there,
                i have seen a similiar situation on refridertor. check the ice cubes bucket. are the ice cubes frozen together in a block of ice maybe. the bucket that holds the cube and sends the cubes to the shut in the door to your glass. it is called the ice container on the lay out. i have seen a few cases were the ice maker willl over fill. the water will run into the ice container and finally reach the ice and water dipenser in the front and lay underneath the drip tray.
                just a chance!!!

Comment

i have the same refrigerator your have. just below the dispenser and ice chute is a plastic louver looking thing. mine pulls out. what it sits on is just the upper part of the door. there are no water lines here anyplace! there are two sheetmetal screws that hold the ice dispenser in the door and the water tubing off the solenoid line from in back of the fridge.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =