Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling Joists Interfering With Lighting Positioning

I'm remodeling my kitchen/dining room and having difficulty with the recessed lighting positioning.

The lighting specified is 4" low voltage 50W MR16 rated IC. However, the only IC cans I can find are pretty large, and are for new construction, but I'm doing a remodel. You probably guessed it, two of the three cans need to be positioned right where the 2"x6" ceiling joists are crossing over.

I considered using remodel version cans, but they also have the same positioning, besides that the insullation must be cleared away at least three inches from the can and they are not airtight and allow air/heat/air conditioning leakage into the ceiling crawl space. I also considered track lighting, but it's somewhat intrusive.

I was considering the possibility of doing double headers around the cans as illustrated on the following referenced page for fold down stairs, but I really hate the idea of cutting those joists, and I don't even know if the building codes allows for that since there are roof trusses involved with those joists.

Got any better ideas or suggestions for me?

Thanks,
    Ken

You won't find any low voltage cans that are IC rated, they just don't make em so whomever called for them in the design was really outta the know. And you definatly DO NOT want to cut those trusses whatsoever. This will compromise their integrity and is NEVER allowed per the manufacturers.

The best way for you to go is to either install track lighting in the exact space you desire or instead install a 5" IC rated rececessed can in an existing joist space. Halo is an excellent brand and they make a 5" IC rated airtight remodel can as the following link will show

Even if the can is spaced a few inches over from your desired location, the light will still be present for the task performed below since it spreads out and is not just a focused point. Here's a link that'll show you how to space your lights and how the beam is spread depending on the size and ceiling hieght.

Besides, installing 120 volt lights is not only cheaper for the fixtures but you'll also have better realiablily since the low voltage type require an expensive transformer to operate which can be very pricey to replace.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =