Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE side by side refrigerator

My GE side by side refrigerator, model GSS22WGPACC is about 3 yrs. old. It was working perfectly and then suddenly developed a problem. The freezer section is below 0 degrees but the fridge side is only about 55 degrees. There also seems to be no air movement in the fridge side like there used to be. I pulled the icemaker out and dont see any obvious problem near the pass through vent to the fridge, any ideas.

Air Damper?

Originally posted by brooksjp

I dont see any obvious problem near the pass through vent to the fridge
    All the cooling in most refrigerators is done in the freezer compartment. Only a small portion of that air is circulated into the fridge compartment to cool it.

There has to be at least two vents in order for the air to circulate through the fridge compartment. A blockage in either will restrict air flow from and/or back to the freezer compartment.

GE side by side refrigerator, model GSS22WGPACC
    That is one of GE's newer electronically controlled refrigerator models. On it there is an air damper (see the following link) that restricts air flow into the fridge compartment to control its temperature.

LINK > GE GSS22WGPACC Air Damper and Termistor Asm.

A problem with it (GE had problems with early damper designs and has since redesigned it), its 'thermistor' (temperature sensor - which is included with the damper) or the electronic control not activating the damper could be responsible for your symptoms. It might also be caused just by some packages, etc., blocking one or the other vents into the fridge compartment.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Dan O. View Post
      All the cooling in most refrigerators is done in the freezer compartment. Only a small portion of that air is circulated into the fridge compartment to cool it.
      This seems obvious now that you say it, but I never realized that before

Comment

Thanks Dan O. I emptied everything, defrosted thourghly and restarted. The airflow from freezer to the fridge side was working for the 1st couple of hours. After the freezer got down to below freezing the airflow between freezer & fridge stopped, cant see anything obvious? suggestions?

Comment

airflow between freezer & fridge stopped, cant see anything obvious. suggestions?
          Did you check the air damper??

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Air Damper?

The Air Damper is completely closed, obviously that should not be with fridge temp at 60 and temperature controls setting at 9. Is it a pretty sure bet that the Air Damper/Thermistor is faulty? or could it be anything else (temperature controls, etc.) ?

Comment

Air damper closed

The Air Damper is completely closed
              Bingo!

Is it a pretty sure bet that the Air Damper/Thermistor is faulty? or could it be anything else (temperature controls, etc.) ?
              It's a pretty good bet but as I stated previously, "A problem with [the damper] (GE had problems with early damper designs and has since redesigned it), its 'thermistor' (temperature sensor - which is included with the damper) or the electronic control not activating the damper could be responsible for your symptoms".

JFYI

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Air Damper ?

I unplugged the electrical connection to the damper and manually opened it. Then let the fridge run overnight but no change in temperature, still 55+. There seems to be no airflow coming through the damper to the fridge side even though it's wide open, but fan in freezer side is running strong. Does damper have some control of fan in the freezer side or is it simply an opening?
                Last edited by brooksjp; 09-27-2006, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Possible Recall

I'm not sure of what the models are affected, but you should check with GE, as I'm thinking that I heard of some recalls on some units where the problem you described is common.

Comment

There seems to be no airflow coming through the damper to the fridge side even though it's wide open
                    Than that would indicate to me that the air duct(s) IS blocked.

Does damper have some control of fan in the freezer side or is it simply an opening?
                    AFAIK it just opens or closes the air passage between the compartments but the electronic control could act on the damper's thermistor readings to turn the compressor on or off when indicated.

But if the fan IS running, air should be circulating in to the fridge compartment unless something is blocking it. If it's not the damper, it will be up to you (or whomever is doing the service) to determine what that something is.

JMO

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

just a thought

just a thought

you may want to check the coils on the unit. the cooling coils will freeze over. the coils will be completely covered in ice. i have seen refrid coils covered in ice and snowthis will block the area flow completely to your refrid side of the unit but allow the freezer to cool. the coils usually defrost automaticallly. the unit fails to defrost the refrid will not coils even if the damper is open.
                      may want to look at the coils. it could be a defrost problem

Comment

Coils frozen

Your right Johnno, coils are frozen solid. Will look at a defrost problem, also would having the settings too cold (max) maybe cause excessive ice on coils?

Comment

I emptied everything, defrosted thourghly and restarted. The airflow from freezer to the fridge side was working for the 1st couple of hours. After the freezer got down to below freezing the airflow between freezer & fridge stopped

coils are frozen solid.
                          After just a couple of hours??? It would usually take a week or more for a defrost system failure to cause problems after a thorough defrosting like you said you gave it.

JMO

Dan O.
                          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

defrost

After messing with this thing for a while I now realize it isn't the damper at all. What is happening is the coil in the freezer is freezing over so bad that no air can pull through it to go thru the damper. Does not appear to defrost on its own. I can manually defrost with a hair dryer but after about 3 days it starts to freeze over again. What is the first thing I should look for? thanks Jim

Comment

Defrost problem? Air leakage??

I can manually defrost with a hair dryer but after about 3 days it starts to freeze over again.
                              Is the evaporator (cooling) coil completely and uniformly frosted across its *whole* surface or just on part of it?

the coil in the freezer is freezing over so bad that no air can pull through it to go through the damper. What is the first thing I should look for?
                              If it was frosting uniformly across the whole evaporator coil, a problem with the defrost system is a possible cause. In that case testing the defrost heater would likely be a start as described at the following link. Unfortunately, on that model the rest of the defrost system will be difficult to check being one of GE's electronically controlled designs.

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

LINK > GE GSS22WGPACC Defrost Heater

BTW. Totally frosting up in only 3 days would be pretty quick for a fully and completely defrosted fridge even with a defrost system problem. You might want to look into the doors not closing properly or being left open allowing too much warm air into the appliance. That's the only was I can see it totally frosting up in only that length of time.

JMO

Dan O.
                              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =