Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Side by Side not defrosting

Hi all. Wow, this place is pretty neat. Anyway, I have a GE side by side, model number GSS201EMDWW that has an obvious (to me) defrosting problem. I've thawed the coils out with a hair dryer (I read to do that here) twice now, but it lasts about a week so I know the defroster part of it isn't working, or at least isn't working right. I'm an auto mechanic at a dealership, so electronics and things of that nature don't scare me. However, I have no idea where to start checking things. There's a lot of wires, and a sensor or two back there, but as far as what voltages/ resistance, etc. things are supposed to have, ??? That's why I'm here. Please help? An online manual, or just some good advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Originally posted by lordmik

GE side by side, model number GSS20IEMDWW
    Great, another one of GE electronically controlled fridge models. I'm not a fan.

There's a lot of wires, and a sensor or two back there, but as far as what voltages/ resistance, etc. things are supposed to have, ??? That's why I'm here.
    There should be a wiring diagram with the fridge which might also have some diagnostic procedures in a small pocket, pouch or envelope either behind the kickplate, in or near the compressor compartment at the back or inside the control console.

You can get a general idea of how a refrigerator's defrost system works at the following link:

LINK > How does a frost free refrigerator's defrost system work?

About the only thing on your model that can be easily tested is the defrost heater (see the following link) itself.

LINK > GE GSS20IEMDWW Defrost Heater

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks. I know how the defroster works. I was hoping there was more to check than just the heater itself. I'll look for the wiring diagram and see if I can find it this weekend. Is there anything I can do as far as checking the electronics, or is this just gonna be a replace kind of thing if the heater's ok?

I was hoping it wasn't electronically controlled, from reading other posts on the forum, but as I mentioned, I'm an auto tech and most cars are loaded with electronic controls, so I fear them not, as long as I have something to go by for testing. Is there a way to make the control board go to the defrost cycle, so I can check for power to the defrost heater, or am I asking too much?
      Last edited by lordmik; 09-29-2006, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Is there anything I can do as far as checking the electronics
        I do not know of any specific tests for the electronic control itself. They are often just assumed to be defective if the rest of what can be checked are Ok. When those electronic controls fail they can burn up in spots which might appear during a visible inspection. Burn marks likely means the electronic control probably needs to be replaced.

If there are diagnostics with the wiring diagram it might tell you how to go about testing individual functions of it. There is no way I know of to manually put it into defrost to see if the heater circuit works or not, though.

is this just gonna be a replace kind of thing if the heater's ok?
        There is also a thermistor involved in the defrost process. It could cause defrosting problems if defective. If both the heater and it were Ok, the electronic control would be suspect, yes.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you for your help. I couldn't find any wiring diagram or anything in or on the fridge anywhere. Is there somewhere online I can get this?

Comment

I went to the repairpartsclinic dot com and inserted that number you described [GSS201EMDWW] What came up were parts for a dishwasher - You sure you got the correct number??

Comment

I couldn't find any wiring diagram or anything in or on the fridge anywhere.
              There should have been one with the appliance when it left the factory. Unless it's been serviced before and the technician took it with him...

Is there somewhere online I can get this?
              I'm afraid not. If you contact GE they can likely send you a copy (maybe only printed)... and probably for a fee (ie. not free).

BTW. They can probably supply a service manual too if you're interested.

Originally posted by HayZee518
              [GSS201EMDWW] What came up were parts for a dishwasher - You sure you got the correct number??
              You can see an exploded parts view of that model at the following link:

LINK > GE GSS20IEMDWW Exploded Parts Views

JFYI

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks again for the help. I'll see what I can come up with. Everyone I've talked to said it's 90% chance or better it's the heater itself. I'll check that bugger next time I have to put the hair dryer to it. Probably be within the week. I hate to pay someone to come do something I can easily do myself, it's just a matter of collecting the information I need so that I can.

Hey, if anyone has a car question, shoot it to me. Thanks.

Comment

Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =