Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound proof

is there a such thing as sound proof jip rock? how much does it cost, and is it effective? thanks

Effect insignificant. Unnecessary procedure...

Comment

No solid material is entirely soundproof, though some insulate better than others. Not sure what your application is, but you might try some of the products musicians use to soundproof (partially soundproof, natch!) studios.

To paraphrase what God said to King Arthur, "What is your purpose?" What kind room are you dealing with? Home theater or something else? I know a fair piece about musical studio matters, not much about home theater (the producing side of music and video interest me more than the consuming side. =^_^=)

Comment

Aaahh... Production rooms!

I've done a fair amount of reading and pricing in this area, as I too would like a studio of my own.

Yes, the application is important. Are you just trying to sound proof an entertainment room that happens to be adj adjacent to bedrooms?

For studio work, yes.. .you can by a foam like material. But to get true isolation, this material can get expensive. A great place for these types of projects is www DOT homerecording DOT com

Those folks spend countless hours handling projects like that, and there's always TONS of people on.

If you're just trying to sound proof the average room, without looking like some freak studio from space, then the best you can do is get thick sheet rock, with good quality insulation. It will never be sound-proof, but it will cut back on the noise a great deal.

It's pretty hard to sound proof a room, and at the same time, make it look like a normal living space within a house. Doorways, windows, etc. will reduce your 'proofing' efforts a great deal.

Comment

If you have the right tools, you can selectively place sound proofing material on the walls where the sound jumps the most. Items like sound curtains work really well on flat surfaces. Usually they will selectively proof a section of wall. Anything that is an entirely smooth surface i.e. flat walls will bounce sound. Ideally you want to break up the sound so shapes like egg-crate work well too.
          Last edited by toastixeoh; 05-10-2011, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =