Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage door question.

Hello everyone,

I recently moved into a new home and have a 2 and 1/2 car garage. The door is just a standard 2 car garage door. I am hoping to put a storage/maintenance lift in the garage, but the height of the garage door when it is open (i.e. up) is a bit lower than I would need to be able to store a car on the lift and be able to open the garage door. Currently the height from the floor to the bottom of the door when open is 7 and 1/2 feet. I need to be able to make this useable height 9 feet.

Is it possible to insert a 1.5 or 2 foot section of track into the garage door track? Thus increasing the height of the point at which the garage door starts to fold horizontally. The spring or coil setup would have to be move up in relation to the new "folding" point I would think.

Has any one done this before? The only issue that I see is how the garage door opener would work as I believe that doing this would put the opener about 1.5 or 2 feet above the level of the garage door when it is closed. Can’t remember how the opener attaches to the garage door.

Anyone want to take a guess as to how much this might cost me?

This is referred to as high lift and it is possible if you have enough head room in the garage. The springs will have to be changed as well as the cables to compensate for the extra length of track and lift in the door. Your drums or pulleys on the torsion bar may have to be changed as well. You can probably look to spend in the neighborhood of $300.00 to have this done.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =