Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black mold

Hello guys I was wondering if someone could help me . A few years ago my roof leaked( I didnt Know it) and now I have a small patch of black mold in my kitchen between my ceiling and wall right on the edge. Ive searched pretty much all over the net and all I keep reading is one of two things either rip the walls out or wash it really good with bleach then apply something like killz to seal it off and just forget about it.In the next month or so im going to sell it and dont want any legal issues so im confused as to what to do. I could remove the old drywall ( the mold is a small place like half inch by 5 inches) or just clean it really good and paint killz on it then primer and paint it. PLEASE anyone who can tell me the best way to fix this id really appreciate it Thanks Mike

Black mold...

Certainly black mold's not to be taken lightly. Wearing a good quality breathing mask, I'd remove that plaster. You need to see what's behind it. If the plaster's moldy, most likely there's mold on the woodwork from that leak, too. If there's insulation in that area, that, too, may be wasted. Black mold is at it's worst when it's disturbed. The spores float around and can be breathed by anybody in the vicinity, so closing off that room, and placing a good exhaust fan in a nearby window will go a long way to dumping it to the outside. If it's also on the wood, then you could liberally apply a heavy dose of bleach/water to that. As long as the rafters and joists aren't rotted. I would go through that area as if my family's life depended on it. That way I'd be confident that the next people were safe, too. The job may be samll. If it turns out too large, hire a pro. Then, other people's safety, as well as your legal concerns, are protected.

Comment

Not all mold that is black in color is the infamous "Black Mold". That said, it is probably prudent to err on the side of caution when dealing with mold and wear protective gear.

Comment

Black mold....

I agree, Klaatu. Incidentally..."niktoh-barakha"....

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
          I agree, Klaatu. Incidentally..."niktoh-barakha"....

well, played.

now...... where's my boomstick?

Comment

It goes:

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

Comment

Okay!

I'll take that correction, just don't give me the 'evil' eye! (One of the top 3 favorite movies!) Anyways...sorry for hijacking this thread!

Comment

Black Mold

Hi, If you really want to be on the safe side, the best thing to do is to have the mold tested. There is a company out there called "RESCUE ME! SERVICES
                that specifically deals in mold remediation. I had a problem with mold in the lower level of my split level home after flooding this spring. He does a test that cost about $75 to see if the mold is "live and active" or not. If it is live, he has equipment to kill it and willl paint over it and seal it. It works wonders! So glad I did it to mine.

If you can see the area and have access to it, you most likely don't have to change the sheetrock either. In my case, it got behind the sheetrock as the lower 6" got wet. He had to open a small area on each wall to get to it with his machine. He guarantees his work too!

Mark Carter, Rescue Me Services, 877-246-5366 or triscarter@worldnet.att.net

Tell him Jan from Distinctive Scenes sent you. Good luck. Jan

Comment

What about an ozonater shock treatment, they say that works very well but you need to blow the ozone around so it contacts the mold. Anyone know anything about this approach?

Comment

Black Mold

Did you call Rescue Me Services? I don't recall the type of machines they used. They did 2 types of remediation in order to guarantee the mold is killed. For all I know that may be one of them. Mark would be able to answer the question over the phone. If it is not something he uses, since he specializes in this type of business, I'll bet he can answer your question. Jan Distinctive Scenes

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =