Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Profile Refrigerator - No water

I have a GE profile Refrig, PSC23GMD BS. There is no water coming out from the water dispenser. I already change the water filter and there is water pressure at the filter. I had this problem when the unit was new a few years ago and it was repaired under warranty. Now, the warranty is up, I would lilke to fix it my self if possible. Some work was done on the freezer door back then, but I don't remember what was done.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Model number

Originally posted by dnwong

GE Refrig, [model #] PSC23GMD BS
    That model number seems to be incorrect.

Did you get it right off the appliance's model and serial number identification tag? If so, could you please double check it.

There is no water coming out from the water dispenser.
    There are 3 possibilities that come to mind;

1 - The water reservoir in the fridge compartment may be frozen.

2 - The water valve on the back of the fridge is defective.

3 - The water side of dispenser mechanism in not working... for whatever reason.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 11-13-2008, 02:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

ok, correct model #. I have water at the water filter, so does that mean the valve is ok.

model: psc23sgmd bs

Comment

correct model # psc23sgmd bs
        That's better.

I have water at the water filter, so does that mean the valve is ok?
        You mean when the water dispenser is activated, water flows through the filter?

Water will always be in the water system in the fridge. It is only when the water valve on the back of the fridge is energized that more flows into that system (tubing, filter, etc.) resulting in it 'squirting' out at the dispenser on the front of the fridge.

If the water dispenser is not dispensing, either the water valve is not opening (for whatever reason) to allow more water to enter the fridge's tubing or water is unable to flow through it.

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

The water stopped flowing the first time and I thought it was the water filter. So, I replaced the water filter and then it work for a few days and then it stopped flowing again.

Is that indicative and anything?

Comment

Is that indicative [of] anything?
            I'm afraid not. It is actually going to need to be checked out to find the problem.

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I think I found the problem. The frigerator is too cold. The tempature of the refrigerator part saids 34 degrees even when I have it set at 43 degrees. A head of letteuce in the fresh produce drawer is frozen.

I will run the express thaw mode in the frig for 12 hours then the water starts flowing again. A week later its frozen again.

What controls the temp in the frig and what might the malfunction be?

thanks,

Comment

What controls the temp in the frig
                On that model, an electronic control, thermistor sensors and an 'air damper' (see the following link) between the compartments to limit air flow.

LINK > Food Compartment Air Damper Asm.

and what might the malfunction be?
                If the fridge section is too cold, any one of those things... although GE did have problems with the early production dampers they were using so that might be most suspect?

JMO

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Dan,

thanks for the opinion. It I tried to block off that damper and let it run for a while to see if the water freezes up. If not, then I can assume that the damper is malfunctioning?

Dudley

Comment

If I tried to block off that damper and let it run for a while to see if the water freezes up. If not, then I can assume that the damper is malfunctioning?
                    You could assume it but it doesn't mean it is.

If you block the air flow between the compartments, the fridge compartment WILL get warmer. There's no two ways about it. But why that air flow isn't being controlled properly in the first place is something else. It could be because the damper is malfunctioning or because the control is not sending the signal telling it to close when the set temperature is reached.

The only sure way I know of to tell if the damper is the problem is to inspect it to see if the damper door is broken. But if that door isn't broke, it doesn't necessarily mean the damper is good. It can fail in other ways as well... which are more difficult to determine.

JMO

Dan O.
                    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I too have basically the same problem with my GE Artica

I have an GE Artica Refrigerator, my model number is P/N PSC23SGMD BS
                      and the S/N is SA 422763. I've been to the GE Parts site, and am having difficulty determining which damper assembly may be faulty. I think it may be the WR60X10062 damper in the Custom Cool Section. This part is somewhat pricy $95.00. Have you heard of anyone repairing one before?

Comment

Fridge compartment air damper

Originally posted by TAlan

I too have basically the same problem with my GE Artica
                        You mean the refrigerator compartment is too cold??

I am having difficulty determining which damper assembly may be faulty.
                        There is only one for the main part of the refrigerator section and it is not in the 'Custom Cool' section. You can see the one for the main refrigerator section at the following link (although it is now only sold as an assembly):

LINK > GE PSC23SGMDBS Fridge Compartment Damper Asm.

JFYI

Dan O.
                        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

similar problem- but solution suggestions don't make sense...

i have the psc23sgmd bs fridge--- same problem, but no water.

i traced the water line from the back of the inside of the fridge compartment, down under the front lower grill, and where it goes up into the door of the freezer.

Just before the entry point to the freezer door, there is a little blue connector that connects the water line that comes from the fridge side to another water line that goes up the freezer door.

when i disconnect the adapter, and press the water dispense button, i get water flowing though the line down there. So this means the water is flowing fine on the fridge side. but is not flowing from this connector up to the dispenser.

questions: Is there a water tank (or reservoir) in the freezer side, just behind the dispenser? If so, can this freeze? It feels rock solid, as if a reservoir "here" is frozen. Or can it be the dispenser---is this electronic? The reason why i ask this also, is becasue the little ligh bulb in this assembly has never worked right- i can see the bulb element just barely glowing when i peek up to it.

Thoughts?

thanks- steve

Comment

Originally posted by steveb64
                            [GE fridge model] psc23sgmd bs

Is there a water tank (or reservoir) in the freezer side, just behind the dispenser?
                            No, just a water line.

If so, can this freeze?
                            Yes the water line inside the freezer door can freeze. GE had problem with that on early production models and the fix was to replace the doors with thicker ones which had more insulation.

Or can it be the dispenser---is this electronic?
                            Yes it is electronic and no it can't be the cause of your symptom. Basically it is just a switch. If it is powering the water valve on the back of the fridge when activated, it is doing its job.

the little light bulb in this assembly has never worked right- i can see the bulb element just barely glowing when i peek up to it.
                            There may be a problem in the dispenser unit but it is not the cause of the water not being dispensed from what you've said occurs.

JMO

Dan O.
                            www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

GE GSS23WGTA WW water dispenser not working

My GE ref. GSS23WGTA WW water dispenser is not working after I tried to chnage the filter. Everything was working fine until the filter light went orange, than red. When I used a Brita replacement, the water dispenser stoped working.
                              The manual says the water reservoir may be frozen, but how do I check that?
                              I set the ref temperature to 38F, so far, still not working.
                              My ice maker does work just fine.
                              Any suggestions?
                              Thanks!
                              Celsa

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =