Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Repair This???

ok im am a new born to this. I would like to fix this by ends week so i can use all the help i can get. thank you

Door repair....

Yank the hinges pins out. Remove the screws and hinge plates from the hinge jamb. Use good quality wood glue to replace the broken pieces back in place. (Maybe use some small brads to secure it 'till glue dries). While glue sets, go to store with one of the screws and, matching the same head size, get screws as long as possible. 3" would be great. Pre-drill a pilot hole for the new screws in the hinge jamb and you're good to go....

Comment

so i dont have to replace all the wood thats been rippd off. Just glue it all togather?

Comment

Wood glueing....

I wouldn't bother. It appears to be split only at the top. The glue will be stronger than the wood. With the door dismounted, dryfit the sood in place to assure a smooth fit. Razor knife or carve away anybumps that may hinder a smooth fit. Not too much, as you don't want the glue to fill voids. Once you're comfy with the way it looks, smear the wood glue on both sides, wait a minute or so and set it in place and tack. Wipe off any excess and paint. The longer screws will attach themselves to the 2x4's that are behind the face board.
        The presumption now..it will be strong enough to support most any kid swinging on it again....unless the screws pull out of the door edge!

Comment

I wouldn't not for a break like that. I'd replace the whole jamb plate from top to bottom. Repair it once and be done with it. Glue it and you might be doing it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Juststarting View Post
            ok im am a new born to this. I would like to fix this by ends week so i can use all the help i can get. thank you
            I'm just curious what happened to the door to make it do that?
            Try

Comment

I'm definately with mrcaptainbob on this one. Follow his advice and you'll be fine. As an add-on, If the crack left is visible and bothersome: get some light weight spackling too. Smear it over the crack left behind when the two pieces are glued back together, and wipe off the excess with a damp cloth when it dries.

Comment

yes, Replace the jamb and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =