Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...I'm in the dark, literally

Doing some modernization of the home. Thought it wouldn't be a sweat to switch the light switches from the old flip switches to the new sleak toggle type.

Well...I learned it's NOT that simple, as now only one kitchen light works.

This is our setup: Kitchen lights in question are 2 - 4 bulb flourescents. The main switchplate is a dually for each light, with one single switchplate on the other side of the kitchen to turn off the light by the kitchen table. So one toggle is a 3-way.

The toggle switches we have are the Cooper Aspire plain single-pole and 3-way. Home wiring is all copper, with 120v/15+20amp/14 gauge.

Was wondering if someone who has worked with these newer switches, can help me figure which wire goes where from some photos? Just need to figure out which 2 wires go to which 2 screws on a switch -- and which switch needs to be a 3-way (one in the dual switchplate, or one in the single switch plate and the 2 in the dual switchplate being single poles?).

I know it's simple, but being my first time and nothing to use an example, I can't figure it out as is.

Please help me out of the dark, thanks!

any three way made has one screw that is an odd color. this is the common to the switch, the other two are the "travelers" that is they are the switch legs for both switches. at any given time one common is switched to one traveler to the other switch and the other common to the load. all the three way is doing is swapping traveler wires.

Comment

Originally posted by Christy View Post
      which switch needs to be a 3-way (one in the dual switchplate, or one in the single switch plate and the 2 in the dual switchplate being single poles?).
      You'll need a 3 way SW in both locations.

[/QUOTE]Was wondering if someone who has worked with these newer switches, can help me figure which wire goes where from some photos? Just need to figure out which 2 wires go to which 2 screws on a switch [/QUOTE]

If your house was wired with a 3 wire romex, IE 14-3 or 12-3, there may be a red, white and black conductor and as you can see from the drawings at the heading of this forum the red and white are on opposing sides of the switches as well as in opposite locations on each switch.

If it is still unclear, open the boxes (with the power off) and tell us what color conductores occur in each box.
      Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Thank you Hayzee and Snoobyb for responding, but my sis and I figured it out after a verbal fest. We just didn't know which 3-way setup was used, and luckly it was the simplest (red wire on brass screw; black wire on black screw; black wire on single brass screw; and bare copper wire as ground).

It was good to get in and replace the switches, learned that none of them were grounded - that was changed quickly! After knowing this, we're going to replace every switch in the house to be on the safe side.

Again, thank you for responding.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =