Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Repair.......

We just bought our 1st house. Its been a rental for many years. So the walls are in very poor shape. A joint is cracking and it looks like someone has tried to patch it with mud. What is the correct way to fix it. The joint is about 1foot tall as it is above the front door.

Also what is the correct way to fix screw/nail holes that the mud is kinda popping out. Its uneven with the wall. Do i just need to resand it down and fill again? I took my hammer and popped the hole in and refilled it. Is that a good way? I just dont want to be fixing all these again later down the road.
    Thanks

the screw or nail holes need to be dimpled below the surface of the sheetrock paper then filled in with mud. the joint needs a coat of mud then paper tape then more mud in very thin layers. last coat is wide and thin feathered out about 6" either side of the joint.

Comment

Nail pops.....

If the nails are popping, I'd set a drywall screw of correct length about two inches either side of that popped nail. Just set the screw head slightly below the surface, trying not to break the paper if you can. Then patch them all...

Comment

Joint Repair

If after all the repairs, you still see bumps or lumps from the repairs or you just have too many to want to deal with them all as I have seen in some homes this is one option. Instead of a regular coat of paint, try a faux finish. They are known for hiding blemishes. If you don't know how to do one, try hiring someone who does. Jan Distinctive Scenes

Comment

Joint Repair

I know exactly what this is about. Stress above the door causes cracking, even if the joint is taped.

A quick solution is to sand off the excess mud sticking up and then remove the tape as shown at http://www.drywallinfo.com/retaping-drywall.html and retape and finish.

A permanent solution consists of removing drywall around the door out to the first studs on both sides and then placing horizontal sheets up so there is no vertical joint above the corner. This is a LOT more work but will prevent you having to do the quick solution again 3 or 4 years down the line.
          Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
          http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          =