Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP scanner install....

Installed an HP 5590 to my old HP Pavilion running W98. No problems, all is well.
    Installed the same to wife's Dell Dimension 4600, took about 2 hrs to read the disc. Scanned a test document, all went well. Next day, upon restart, the XP machine pops up a window saying it's loading the scanner software. tried canceling, won't close out the window. Have to use Task Manager to delete that window. Nest I tried install/uninstall but am told it can't because another program is being added. There are none, (to my limited knowledge). How can I find what's being 'added'? How can I delete all the files for this scanner?
    So far: i searched all files for anything conatining HP 5590 info. Went through and manually deleted them. Followed some HP directions for cleaning the regedit files. THe monster info is STILL there!
    I did store points before and after the mass deletion.
    Any suggestions? Out the window? Hand grenades? Howitzers?

I know this seems redundant but go to start-->run--> type in regedit and ok. Type in the find window HP or anything dealing with hewlett-packard. hit enter, then delete and enter now push F3 this will increment to the next file. keep on deleting and enter. double check the file before you hit enter after picking delete. this will clean out the mirror file in the registry. Another place to look is "C" "windows" "prefetch in a sub directory" look for HP or hewlett-packard and highlight and delete then reboot

Comment

Deleting regedit....

You're good Hayzee! Didn't know about those techniques. Thanks very much. Will follow through on that! Neat stuff!

Comment

Deleting HP info.

Hayzee! delete ALL of HP stuff?? Yikes! There's a TON of HP files in both, regedit and in the prefetch folder! The other HP peripherals are T45xi (scan/print/copy/fax), a Deskjet 932c printer and now this scanner (scanjet 5590). Not afraid to delete anything, as I do have the install discs for all of them. Any way to find just those that pertain to the 5590?
        Thanks for your help.

Comment

No, just do a find for anything for the printer/scanner you want out. use the name or the number and make sure you look at the file before you delete it out from the registry. the registry is what runs the computer. I had norton anti virus in here and had to manually delete over 300 files pertaining to the anti virii program. But once it was out there were no mirror files

Comment

300 files!

Well, it may not be 300 files, Hayzee, but there sure are a lot of them! I did delete anything that had an obvious 5590 on it, as well as info on the old scanner. After that and doing the same in prefetch, I rebooted and that darn 'loading' window STILL came up! Will try a different tack and type in 5590. Hopefully that will bring up something I can use....

Comment

Scanner update.....

Well, I managed to delete whatever file caused the configure window to pop up for that scanner. Deleted EVERY (I think!) HP or hp file that was in the registry, prefetch or any other folder I could find! Did a store point berfore I did all that. Issue now is that it won;t read ANY HP disc. Next plan is to download whatever drivers HP is offering for this stuff. Maybe I went too far. If that doesn't work, then I copy all her pics to discs and reload the operating sytem.

Comment

Don't feel so bad. My 4600 finally bit the ghost. It had gotten soooo slow it took 15 minutes to load the main screen. I used the win xp disk and booted up off that and re-installed windows - or so I thought. Come to find out what happened is that the C drive was already partitioned for the backup files, so win xp only "repaired" what it found bad. Unit was still slow. I finnaly had to boot up off the disk, then re-partition the hard drive THEN installed the xp files. Program said it would take 39 min to install. All well n good but when it said finalizing install time reached 7 minutes and just hung there for a half hour, then continued to complete. I had to use the restore cd for all the hardware installed - drivers etc. It still isn't working up to par and I have over 1 meg of ram.

Comment

Feeling bad.....

Don't feel bad? Well, I do feel bad now. If the 'King-of-the Mountain' gets stymied, how shall those of us who live in the valley handle these issues? Sorry to hear your problems are even worse, HayZee. Maybe by the end of the month we can get both systems resolved.

Comment

still working on it - matter of fact I'm chatting on it now.

Comment

OK, I finally got the 4600 back to where it was (almost) as I said before I had to re-install windows xp off a clean reboot - chosing re-partition the hard drive and install off the cd rom. Installation took 39 minutes and using the factory disk was windows xp with sp1. I had to re-install the drivers off the special blue disks that dell supplied when I bought the machine. THEN over the span of three days, I got critical upgrades from microsoft automatically when I was online. I still had to install a java console JRE 1.5.2 to get pogo games to work. I got sp2 from microsoft - this was the longest 90 megabytes long - took 13 hours for the download on a 56K dialup. I run yahoo IM for a messenger program, their software took about 4 hours to d/l. I use avast for a virus checker - why not it's totally free and does much more than mcafee or norton. I get upgrades about every three or four days. I have some hard issues with callwave. When I get online, IT has to boot up before any browser will load other wise nothing will load up and I get an error.

Comment

Software 'stuff'....

You've made better headway than I, HayZee. Am waiting for HP info. WIfe is NOT happy with me!

Comment

if it is any consolation to you I had to do a full system recovery on my wife's presario just a week before mine crashed. the recovery disks were on that partition on the hard drive so about a year ago I made up a set of ten disks for system recovery. after reboot you'd press F12 to go into a system recovery segment and use disk one, two etc until it was finished. I had the disks for her hp printer and a us robotics modem so used those to get it going again. my regular dialup terminal was gone so I went into my network connections and set up a new connection using the wizard. after that I d/l firefox and set up my regular isp,s homepage. but she uses ie6 so that part was easy. compaq's recovery already had win xp sp2 on it.

Comment

I have got hp officejet 6310 all in one and Ive lost the software Cd and windows will not automatically find drivers which makes the printer useless.Does anyone know way of tackling this??
                            thanks in advance

Comment

CNET or DOWNLOADS dot com has drivers for d/l

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =